• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

How can you tell...

yvette

Wise Old Thumper
if a bun has teeth problems?
Is this a silly question??
Obviously if the bun isnt eating, or grooming.Anything else??
At what sort of age does it become apparent??

It really depends on what sort of Dental problems. Some conditions are genetic such as malocclusion. Other problems can occur as a result of a poor diet, aquired Dental Disease.

Symptoms of Dental problems vary too. They can include a reduced food intake, GI hypomotility/GI stasis, a mucky bum, fur mites, Snuffles symptoms including gunky eyes and a snotty nose, weightloss, excessive drinking and consequently excessive urination, a wet chin, headtilt, aggression...............

These links may be helpful :

http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/resources/content/info-sheets/dental_disease.htm

http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/dental.html

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=...5DgDA&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=10

Hmmm.As you know my young man has snuffles,mites and now youve said it,drinks alot.Hes also a nethie x.
Darn it.Hes 6 months old now.me thinks my little fella is in for it....so is the wallet!!!!
Not that I mind...Id rather hes ok.....bless him.

Can I ask a very stupid question?

When a mucky bum and fur mites is an indication of dental problems-is this caused by incisor overgrowth or can it be due to problems with the molars aswell?

Can I ask a very stupid question?

When a mucky bum and fur mites is an indication of dental problems-is this caused by incisor overgrowth or can it be due to problems with the molars aswell?

It could indicate both. There is a higher incidence of problems with molar teeth than incisor.

Thanks!

I was just wondering if the placement of the front teeth meant that if they were sore grooming would be harder. But it makes sense that if any part of their mouth is sore then they wouldn't want to groom themselves.

Back