• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Cut Grass

gillmanning

Alpha Buck
Hi - I have heard that buns should not be fed cut grass (from a lawn mower) - is this true? Does anyone know why this is bad for them? I was hoping to cut my grass today, but can't find the grass catcher - is it ok for them to go on the grass after I've cut it? Thanks for any advice.

They can't eat grass cuttings from a mower. It ferments too quickly.

You should do what I do - crawl around on your hands & knees for an hour picking the grass for the buns. If you get enough you can leave mower in shed:oops::lol:

:D Funny you should say that . . . I'm often seen out in the evening pulling grass up for the buns (my husband thinks I'm mad) - even though they are out on it all day, they prefer me to pick it, put it in their hutch and then they'll eat it :p.

:D Funny you should say that . . . I'm often seen out in the evening pulling grass up for the buns (my husband thinks I'm mad) - even though they are out on it all day, they prefer me to pick it, put it in their hutch and then they'll eat it :p.

Mine are exactly the same. I had loose buns in the garden while I was picking, & they were eating it out of the bucket instead of eating what they were standing on.:roll::lol:

Is it safe to pick grass for rabbits in a park in city?
Mine only get hay and vegetables as I dont know if the grass would be safe and not polluted.

Is it safe to pick grass for rabbits in a park in city?
Mine only get hay and vegetables as I dont know if the grass would be safe and not polluted.

I would be careful of picking grass from public areas as it is often unknown whether these areas have been treated with any moss killers, fertlisers or weed killers. The other issue is whether the area is contaminated with animal excrement.

Back