• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How long does hay keep?

martlou

Warren Veteran
Hello there

Does anyone know how long an opened bag of hay would keep? (been open for 7 weeks) would it be best to throw away and buy new or will it be ok? It's been open as we had to have our 7 yr old house bunny pts :cry: and I couldn't bear to get rid of it. We are going to be bunny sitting for a couple of weeks though and I wonder if it goes off, or if it will be ok.

Can anyone help please?

Hey will keep for ages as long as Its kept in a nice dry area.Not a plastic bag.Farmers cut Hey about now and It last a hole year:wave::wave::wave::wave:

Thank you. It is in a cool dark place (cupboard under stairs) but it's in the bag it came in from PAH, although the bag is open as I said. Do you still think it will be ok? Also, how big is a bale of hay?! Could I keep that in cupboard (it's not huge but reasonable size.

Hey will keep for ages as long as Its kept in a nice dry area.Not a plastic bag.Farmers cut Hey about now and It last a hole year:wave::wave::wave::wave:

is that true, i was told to bag it into black bags and store in the loft (no outdoor storage space), do i need to alter my storage?

I think it's ok in plastic bags as long as it's kept somewhere cool. I had a huge plastic bag of hay in my shed last Summer and it got very sweaty in the heat. :?:? After that I used the old coal shed (which is freezing cold all year round) and it lasted much better in there. I keep mine all in cardboard boxes now though, to be on the safe side.

The hay in my cupboard is cool and definitely not sweaty. If the farmers cut it and it lasts all year then I'm sure this will be ok. Thanks for the responses.

I think it's ok in plastic bags as long as it's kept somewhere cool. I had a huge plastic bag of hay in my shed last Summer and it got very sweaty in the heat. :?:? After that I used the old coal shed (which is freezing cold all year round) and it lasted much better in there. I keep mine all in cardboard boxes now though, to be on the safe side.

Do you seal the cardboard boxes or just fold the flaps over and under to close, thanks

:lol::lol::lol:

It doesn't need to be airtight - I store my huge bale in a duvet cover and just take a few slices off to put into a cardboard box that I then use to fill litter trays etc every day. :)

Cardboard breathes, plastic doesn't. Hay is a natural product and as such needs to be able to breathe to prevent mould growing. Keeping it somewhere warm and dry or cool and dry is best. Damp conditions will promote mould. Also above 40% humidity you get increased hay mite activity. Don't worry - hay mites are plant specific and don't live on rabbits - but they can breed quickly in organic hay kept in moist conditions. Bagged petshop stuff tends to have been sprayed in the field (sorry to put you off!). If you find your local hay has a few mites in it then you can freeze it in bags and then dry it back out in the airing cupboard and it will be as good as new! :D

ooo better get mine out of the bags then...mine is farm brough hay stored in a sealed bag outside...my shed if full of kitchen units!

I live on a farm and we grow and cut our own hay. We only use supa on our crops which is a type of fertilizer. It does not harm rabbits, however they are more prone to getting seeds in their eyes. Wheat and hay or loosen (I think that how you spell it) is best for bunnies :). As for storage, do not keep it in a plastic bag. This will more or likely cause condensation and moisture. You can keep it out in the open as long as it doesn't become wet from rain etc. We have sheds stacked full of hay out in the open and nothing is wrong with it because it is sheltered. BEWARE though if your hay has hay mites. They might not harm rabbits but they do bite us! Have endured it LOL.

This post is a bit late but I hope helped.

DarcyLouise

Back