• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

rearing a wild bunny...do i keep him??

Hello all. A few days ago my husband came home with a approx 10 day old wild bunny (eyes opened the following day) which he found in the middle of a main road. So far so good ..he is in a warm cage with heat pad, cuddly toy, Lactol/probiotics being taken and being fed 5 times a day as well as nibbleing on some vet recommended dry mini pellets (suitable for very young rabbits, that contain vitamins and minerals).

I am aware that its still early days, and I so very much hope he survives, and already, I have grown to love this little handful :love:. The question I am wondering is...should he make it, do I release him??? We live in a rural area, where Rabbits are shot on a nightly basis by the farmers and game keepers. We also have a high number of domestic and semi ferral cats with in the immediate and surrounding area. I would hate to have got him thru his shakey start just to have him shot/caught/squashed on the road.

I take on alot of rescued exotics pets (reptiles and amphibians), that obviously cannot be released, and am only too happy to give this little fellow a home for life and if he stays, he will have the very best we can supply!

I would appreciate your views!

Thanks

After handrearing from such a young age, i doubt he would survive in the wild.

If i were you, i would keep him :)

Sending lots of good luck for the little baby :love: xXx

If he's going to be released the best chance would be to get him to a wildlife sanctuary with others a similar age in. That way he can learn bunnies skills and they'll soft release him (gradually give more freedom). Some will release into a safish area eg a volunteers garden.

Other option is to find somewhere/one that can take him an integrate him into a large group that's keep semi wild.

If you want to keep him you will need to provide large accommodation and be prepared for a very energetic bunny. They are excellent chewers and need a lot of stimulation.

The Rabbit Welfare Association has a contact list of wildlife rescues.

Tam

By the time he is weaned I do not think he will be able to be rehabilitated personally. At just 10 days old he will not have learnt the necessary social or survival skills to be released into a colony and will become very attached to you. Many wildies do well in captivity but they do need a lot more stimulation in general than your average domestic rabbit. I have a tamed wildie, Juno, who was a few weeks when we got her and though she was ready weaned she was disabled so couldn't be released.

Best of luck with the little one, it's hard work but very rewarding to be a wild bunny owner. :)

i think the wildlife sanctuary with other baby buns is the kindest option. He can learn to be a rabbit there. It seems a shame to keep a healthy bun in captivity if he was 'born free'...sorry i'm going all 1970's hippy on you :oops::oops:
i'm not sure whether you already have pet rabbits. Sadly myxomatosis is rife in wild buns at the moment, so any other rabbits nearby are at risk if they are not vaccinated xx

What Tamsin said. You definitely can't release him straight away or he will be predated within hours. If there is a wildlife rehabilitation centre you can get him to where he will be 'trained' you should take him there if you wish him to be released, if not then i would keep him, release is definitely a no no.

Good advice from Tamsin and the others but Tam omitted to add any info about Scamp :lol:. Suggest you do a search for Scamp and I'll lay odds that you wouldn't be able to let this one go :love:

Wold bunny...should I keep him?

I have been a rabbit keeper for many years (some years back tho) and I am very aware that I couldn't simply put him in a field and walk away, and wouldn't dream of doing that!:no: The area we live in is very rural here, not much going in the way of collections of semi wild baby buns to add him to. Obviously, if he survives and stays...he would have the very best large accomodation, and would be vacinated etc. Happy to get another bun to keep him company if its best. I am at home all day, so he wouldn't be stuck in a hutch, with no contact. So far, he is still feeding well and seems to have grown!

Wild Bunny...should I keep him.

I am totally gutted. The little bunny died today. I'm still crying at I write this. His breathing altered suddenly in the night, and he went down hill quickly after that. He died peacefully, with a full belly, in the little nest I had made him, is is buried in the garden under a weeping tree. Bless you litttle bunny. I loved you.xx:(

Run free little one. I can see he was realy looked after the short time you had him. Even willdlife deseves the chance to live and you gave it the chance

jane x

Oh my god, I'm so sorry for you. Am crying too as I type this - what a dreadful loss after so much love from you xxxxxxxxxxxxxx :cry: :cry:

I am totally gutted. The little bunny died today. I'm still crying at I write this. His breathing altered suddenly in the night, and he went down hill quickly after that. He died peacefully, with a full belly, in the little nest I had made him, is is buried in the garden under a weeping tree. Bless you litttle bunny. I loved you.xx:(

Awww I'm so sorry :cry: I hand reared 4 wild bunnies a couple of years ago - we lost 3 of them but Spudsey survived and is now 2 :) I got very attached to them all and still get upset when I think of the other 3 that didn't make it.
Least you tried your best :)

Back