• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

is it hard to bond? x

It depends very much on the bunnies Ash to be honest. If they are easy going & laid back, it can be a piece of cake. If they are quite dominant then it can be quite hard & stressful :shock:

On the whole though the bondings I've done, haven't been too bad. If it's a couple of bunnies you're bonding they tend to be easier than if you're bonding a bigger group.

Do you know if they are sisters Ash? And have they or will they be speyed?

If they're sisters then it can be easier because siblings tend to be ok, but as with all girlie buns they should be speyed to stop their hormones raging & to prevent uterine cancer.

Does can be more territorial than bucks, but that doesn't mean to say it can't work. It really does depend on the bunnies.

In our group of 9, we've got 6 girls & 3 boys, in our group of 5 we've got 2 girls & 3 boys. All the girlies get along fine :D A lot the info you put on your thread for new people about bonding was very good, so if you follow that advice you should hopefully be ok.

I Havent got a clue what gender, problibly boy&girl, will be neuted/sprayed, if not then, boys, Maybe girls, becuase they're coming from p@H adoption, i havent realy got that mutch about them. x thanks x

Hi Ash

I bonded my buns and it was very stressful. It was only 2 of them and neither of them were aggressive but Amos kept chasing Belle for 3 days and night without a break and I was really worried about the stress it was causing her and worry incase it got violent. If you can possibly get 2 already bonded I would highly recomend it - I certainly wished I had. Your not far from me and I know some local rescues have bonded pairs if you can persuade your parents.:D

I think the best bet for bonding a pair is to get a male and a female that have already been neutered. To be honest Ash, if I were you I'd just adopt an already neutered and bonded pair.

I found it really easy to bond Frank and Dulcie, but only because I had a large kennel that I could divide so they could see each other, a yard I could let them out as neutral territory in and was lucky enough to have two very laid back and friendly dwarf lops. Even then it took me a month to feel confident enough to knock the partition out.

But it could have equally gone this way. Sue who I got Dulcie from told me she was 100% sure about a pair of large lion lops she was bonding and they had been next door in crates to one another for a month with no problems. She put them in the car to take them for a ride (how some people bond them) and all hell broke loose between the bunnies and she had to separate them permanently. That's fine in a rescue situation as she had the space and other bunnies to try and bond them with, but what would you do if you ended up with two rabbits that you could never bond together?

I have two girls (speyed) and bonding went like a dream luckily. I do think its more temprement of the buns.

I bonded Ghostie when she wasn't spayed and it was very difficult, so when I decided to adopt Pickle (Ghostie was spayed by now as she was strong enough) Kris did it for me and they were little angels, very easy bond. Just shows you when there are no hormones it's a lot easier. :)

I thought bonding Louis and Coco would be a nightmare but it only took a week. If I'd have known before though, I would have got a bonded pair initially. (Lou was p@h & Coco was a rescue bun)

I have had two bonded boys and now a male/female and luckily both were fairly easy bonds.

I would not attempt it yourself at your age to be honest. I would either get your bunnies from a rescue or if you really want P&H adoption ones then get them, neuter them, and then send them to a rescue to be bonded.

I'm attempting to bond my 2 neutered girls, Emily and Billie, with a neutered male, Lionel. All fine with Lionel and Billie but Emily is another kettle of fish!! She is our first bun and very dominant and territorial. She used to be bonded with a male, up to a year ago, and since then has been bonded with Billie. Emily and Lionel have had two scuffles (not an outright fight - I've had that before, horrid :shock:) which have resulted in poor Lionel getting a torn ear.

I really do think the bunnies' personalities matter an awful lot - I'm sure I could bond Billie with any rabbit she's so sweet :love: But our gorgeous Emily is the :evil: :lol: :lol:

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

p.s. Jacks Jane - Tommy is doing fine and back with Lucy snuggled under the bed - phew!! :love:

Back