• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Can rabbits get kidney failure from hard water?

Lord Trellis

Mama Doe
Can tap water cause kidney disease?

This is what google says... Long-term consumption of hard water can cause kidney dysfunction, which may lead to the other diseases such as cerebrovascular disease, diabetes and others.

Can hard water affect rabbits?

Can tap water cause kidney disease?

This is what google says... Long-term consumption of hard water can cause kidney dysfunction, which may lead to the other diseases such as cerebrovascular disease, diabetes and others.

Can hard water affect rabbits?

I know some vets & owners recommend low calcium water for bunnies with kidney disease (mine doesn't)...but then recently someone explained more about on here (I think that person may have been Shimmer on one of Reader of books threads but not sure) - I concluded it wasn't a problem from what was posted

Basically, no - drinking sufficient tap water won't cause kidney disease. There's so little of anything in potable water (ie water treated and safe to drink) that wouldn't be much, much more concentrated in any foodstuff. I really don't see how potable water can cause any of the issues you mention - and I worked in the labs of a large water company for many years and I have a degree in Applied Biology.

However, not drinking enough water can cause eg kidney and bladder issues - so rabbits should be encouraged to drink more, and that includes hard water.

If you are looking at calcium levels in hard water areas such as London (eg Twickenham):

Rabbit optimum dietary level of calcium required = 0.6-1% (referenced from FHB)
Average adult 2.5kg rabbit needs 500mg calcium per day
Equivalent dietary intake: 113g hay or 152g dandelions or 157g spring greens or 463g grass or 5 litres of very hard London tap water

Rabbit metabolism enables excess calcium to be excreted in urine. Issues such as insufficient moisture intake or lack of activity can result in bladder sludge building up from the calcium deposits, which basically isn't found in wild rabbits, only in sedentary pet rabbits which tend to be fed on processed or dry food, rather than fresh the forage and grass diet of a wild rabbit.

Thanks for the info. I'd had been getting kidney pains recently and with what has been happening with my bunnies showing signs of kidney problems I thought maybe its the tap water. Could piping like old copper piping affect water?

If there was a problem with the tap water or copper pipes, there would be more people and pets affected than just you and yours. I've never heard of a health issue with copper piping that has been correctly installed for some time.

I suggest you see your GP about your kidney issues, and mention the recent losses of both birds and rabbits in case there is a link.
It could also be linked to the mouse infestation you mentioned.

Back