• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Advice about litter retraining please!!

Saucepot

Alpha Buck
Hi all
I have had Sophie for about 6 weeks now and she was the perfect bun re using her litter tray which was in her cage. She has a new bigger luxury pad now which due to its size, has moved a few feet from where her old cage was. I left both freely available to get her used to the new one and she seemed to enjoy snoozing in the bigger one, so after a few days I took her old one away. Since then, she has been pooping and weeing everywhere in the house!! Got up this morning to find a wet mound of poops in the middle of the armchair :shock: There are poops and wee in her litter tray so she is using it, but do you think I should get another litter tray and have one in the living room and one in her hutch? or will it settle down? she is dropping poops all over the place, she was on my lap earlier and left me some small gifts :lol:

I would confine her to her cage and start the litter training process again rewarding her for being in it etc and letting her out for gradually longer periods of time until she got the hang of it again. Maybe she is feeling a bit unsettled because of things changing and just needs putting back into her comfort zone.

Thoughts anyone else? My buns are outside now so I'm not an expert by any means.

Thank you for answering! I thought about doing that but I feel mean :? I think I will try that though as goodness knows what I will wake up to tomorrow :roll:

Yeah, I agree with Rhian. I know it seems mean but confising her to her new pad is the best idea. She's just marking her territory all over again. As she was well-trained before I'm sure se will be quick to learn again and you wont have to keep her cooped up for too long!:)

Ok, I have tried confining her as suggested and she has been going in her litter tray fine in the hutch. I let her out yesterday and she went in her litter tray all day and I praised her and gave her a treat every time she went.

Last night, I went out of the room and closed the door. When I came back in a few mins later, she was up on the chair using it as a toilet :shock:

I am beginning to wonder if it is an attention thing? I confined her last night after that but at the same time, I don't want her to view her hutch as a punishment zone :cry:

She is just 5 months old...any ideas?

No not yet! she is going to be spayed in a couple of months-should I have it done sooner do you think?

If it's possible then definitely - move the spay up.

I think she's territory marking, which is very common especially in does. Spaying will settle that right down.

Back