• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Mites

Hugo's There

Wise Old Thumper
I'm pretty sure Reubin just has mites but wanted to check it couldn't possibly be anything else before using a spot on.

He has developed bald, flaky patches round his eyes. His back and face etc are all fine. I have never seen it just round the eyes before so thought I would check it couldn't be a symptom of anything else :?

Can you see any mites? I can normally spot them a mile off as I'm so paranoid about my buns getting them again :lol: . Does he have any tufty fur? Doesn't sound very like mites being around the eyes. Hope it's nothing more serious.

No tufty fur.

He is not a handable bunny so the chances of seeing mites are slim. I'm lucky I managed to catch him long enough to see the bald patches :shock:

He's not being overgroomed by one of the others is he? There's not any eye discharge that one of the others is grooming off, for example? I'd say it would be pretty unusual for them to be just around the eyes :?

If it is mites though, and he has them but the others in the group don't, that would suggest to me that he might be poorly :?

Hope it's nothing serious going on. xx

He's not being overgroomed by one of the others is he? There's not any eye discharge that one of the others is grooming off, for example? I'd say it would be pretty unusual for them to be just around the eyes :?

If it is mites though, and he has them but the others in the group don't, that would suggest to me that he might be poorly :?

I was a little concerned which is why I posted :?

He seems lively and well in himself. The hair isn't missing directly next to his eye, he has a layer of hair round his eyes and then the bald spots, which is why I couldn't make it out straight away. His eyes seem clean and healthy.

Its hard to explain, but taking pics would be impossible

I agree. Mites would spread to the whole group if it was just that. Can you not get some help with restraining him? How does he react to being tipped onto his back/hypnotised?

I agree. Mites would spread to the whole group if it was just that. Can you not get some help with restraining him? How does he react to being tipped onto his back/hypnotised?

He has major behavioural problems, when he was vaccinated last time he jumped over the vet's head and we spent the next 20 minutes both on our knees trying to catch him:roll::lol:

I will get him inside and give him a good check up over the weekend. I did a fairly thorough check yesterday and couldn't find anything besides the bald spots, which does look just like mites but in the wrong place :?

liz when id bonded my foursome bif had to be removed as she went nuts new years eve and kept attacking the other 3. she was psycho for 24hrs then developed stasis..within 24 to 48hrs later she had a massive mite infestation and it went on for weeks and nothing seemed to solve it. none of the other buns got it nor did my cats...but rob said its cos she was run down maybe from the stress of intensive bonding...xmas.....new years eve fireworks round and abouts.

this new years eve she went nuts again and attacked bertie n bandit...but no mite outbreak phew. she had it sooo bad....she went badly bald all over esp round her lady bits and neck:shock:

i used pharmaq ivermec drops and it worked when everything else failed.

Back