• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Aftercare after a bunny dental

Emm-Jane76

Mama Doe
Penny Pocket has got her dental today. This is my first experience with a dental so just wondered what I need to do when she comes home. Do I need to keep her indoors? Do I give her her normal food? Should she eat and poo normally? Should the vet be giving her any pain relief?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated x

vet will decide whether she needs any pain relief to come home with. It usually depends how bad teeth are. We dont usually give angel any after hers.
she will need kept warm as she will be left indoors with blanket at vets and sometimes on heat pads so it would be shock to take her straight into cold.
She may not eat for few hours depending on how a sleep she is. You may find that she will get bit food but be real sleepy and not chew it.
We usually give little weetabix with water after ops just to make it more managable but its uaully through night when it dissappears.
Pretty straight forward dentals vet will explain what they want you to do.

Fudge had a dental last Thursday and when she got home it was like nothing had even happened.
She got out the carrier running about and binkying and i gave her a treat that she ate. She pooped that night although small poo and its almost back to normal (apart from the hair)

I gave her pain relief that night and that was all. She ate all her dinner and drank so i didnt need to do anything.

Last vet she went to she came back all sleepy so i brought her home and cuddled her on my bed to keep warm, she was back to her normal self in a good couple of hours but didnt eat all her food til the following day.

It depends on what they give them!
Good Luck :wave:

Back