• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Whats The Best Hutch Wood? x

I've seen those in real life and they are really tiny and not good for two medium sized buns. That run isn't big enough for a rat to exercise in, let alone two buns. Sorry, it'll have to be bigger than that. :) I don't like double hutch personally because the ladder can take up too much space. So don't, but I think this one does. It doesn't look great quality either.

The recommendations for 2 medium buns are:

6ft x 2ft x 2ft SINGLE
5ft x 2ft x 2ft DOUBLE

6ft x 2ft run (or 12sqft, although mine is 25sqft and I still think it should be bigger) :)

4ft x 4ft x 2ft is good for a hutch with an attached run.

:shock: This is far too small for rabbits and does not comply with the animal welfare act, rabbits would be unable to take adequate steps in their living area leading them to the possibility of spine and joint problems, you are better getting a 6 x 4 x 2 foot hutch with a run attatched.

But 4ftx4ft is 16sqft. A 6ft2ft is only 12sqft, so the area is bigger than a 6ftx2ft. Although, I wouldn't want a square hutch, and a 6ft hutch is better.

The hutch is too small for a pair of rabbits and is made from thin ply, it is unlikely that would last a year and you would end up having to replace it. In the long run you would be better to spend a bit more and get one of the tongue and groove hutches you were shown yesterday from the happy hutch company.

But 4ftx4ft is 16sqft. A 6ft2ft is only 12sqft, so the area is bigger than a 6ftx2ft. Although, I wouldn't want a square hutch, and a 6ft hutch is better.

You loose space because of the stairs and the hole in the floor. A 6 x 2 is better than a double 4 x 2

The hutch is too small for a pair of rabbits and is made from thin ply, it is unlikely that would last a year and you would end up having to replace it. In the long run you would be better to spend a bit more and get one of the tongue and groove hutches you were shown yesterday from the happy hutch company.

In complete agreement. :):)

I have a pair of mini lops in a 6x2x2 hutch with attached 6x4 run, of which they have 24/7 access to the whole area. That is the minimum size I would consider putting a pair of bunnies in & I'm considering getting an aviary type enclosure instead now, because I think they need even more space.

DSCF6576700x525.jpg

Hope this helps. :):) This is a photo just after I got Alfie, so he's grown some since then and also has company. :lol:

The pic shows the colour as it was when I bought it, but I've since restained it as a little water was leaking in through the tongue and groove in heavy rain - the extra coats of wood stain solved this but, as jrn1310 mentioned in your other thread yesterday, you can also seal any joins with clear silicone. It's not a huge problem, but something to be aware of. ;)

Back