• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

puffed up eyelids

zogby

New Kit
hi guys , im from Australia but i love the site as its been so helpful.
we had extreme heat recently and my rabbit was going good thru the period, now the temperature is cooler its eyelids began to puff up , it scratched it on some plants because it was irritating and then it became worse and then pus started forming in its eye.
it also begun to have sniffles and constantly makes a noise when breathing.

could the rabbit have a cold or flu and does anyone know what the illness is that it has.

its still eating but is way more active at night then during the daytime.

thanks

zogby

ill try and post pics of its eyes later.

I had the same problem with my bun she had sort of a puss on her eye. What you should do is take a warm cloth and gently dab his/her eye and then call your vet and tell the problem and ask for an eye cream. hope this helps. P.S. My rabbit's eye healed, but after a couple of months she died from old age:cry:

Hi Zogby! :wave:

You must be in the eastern states of Aus because down in SA we're still copping the heat!! Send some cool over here please, hehe.

Your bun needs to go to the vet asap. Do NOT try home remedies, that is never a good idea.

Sounds like your bun has snuffles. If so, he/she will need antibiotics and vet care.

Let us know how it goes!!

Could it be Myxomatosis ?
Are his/her genitals swollen ?

Your Rabbit needs Veterinary attention today as any condition affecting the respiratory tract can quickly become extremely serious. Rabbits dont get 'colds or flu'.

Please keep us updated

no i just realized it must be snuffles as some comment of yahoo questions had similar conditions with the eyelids , i will take it to the vet tomorrow as its too late today- after 6 .
i have been using saline to clean its eyes out which helps andi am going to buy it some Baytril tomorrow morning.

the snuffles came in really funny for it which is why i had no idea what it had - at first i thought it had pink eye.

firstly it eyes puffed up then it began sneezing 2-3 days after , today it is snorting and snuffling and turning off food ,it is still eating and mostly rests so it is doing ok but it must be sick.

the heat must of stressed it out as we have no other rabbits .

no i just realized it must be snuffles as some comment of yahoo questions had similar conditions with the eyelids , i will take it to the vet tomorrow as its too late today- after 6 .
i have been using saline to clean its eyes out which helps andi am going to buy it some Baytril tomorrow morning.

the snuffles came in really funny for it which is why i had no idea what it had - at first i thought it had pink eye.

firstly it eyes puffed up then it began sneezing 2-3 days after , today it is snorting and snuffling and turning off food ,it is still eating and mostly rests so it is doing ok but it must be sick.

the heat must of stressed it out as we have no other rabbits .

Sadly it sounds as though he/she is very sick :cry:
Respiratory Tract infections can rapidly progress to Pneumonia which is often fatal :cry:
Do you not have an Emergency contact number for a Vet ?
I know I must sound rather dramatic but the symptoms you describe are those of a Rabbit in serious trouble :cry:

Daniel1Dirk, Please stop sending this advice. Eye problems can be made much worse by rubbing the infected area and must always be seen by a vet as many eye complaints are symptoms of other very serious problems. Home remedies are not appropriate for eye complaints.

"Daniel1Dirk I had the same problem with my bun she had sort of a puss on her eye. What you should do is take a warm cloth and gently dab his/her eye and then call your vet and tell the problem and ask for an eye cream. hope this helps. P.S. My rabbit's eye healed, but after a couple of months she died from old age"

its Myxomatosis , vet gave it an injection and bayatril for the next few days.
he said it has a chance of survival as it is still hydrated so it could be ok .

its eyes looked nothing like most the pictures on the internet about Myxomatosis so i had no idea it was that illness and since it happened on super hot days i had the feeling it was something to do with the heat or with dust not with stupid mosquito's.

right now its still pretty aggressive like normal and still getting mad when we do stuff it doesnt want like pick it up .and im trying to give it water with a syringe then later will attempt food .

its breathing has been the same for 2 days now hopefully with medicine it recovers as it seems to be getting slightly better - less raspy.

its Myxomatosis , vet gave it an injection and bayatril for the next few days.
he said it has a chance of survival as it is still hydrated so it could be ok .

its eyes looked nothing like most the pictures on the internet about Myxomatosis so i had no idea it was that illness and since it happened on super hot days i had the feeling it was something to do with the heat or with dust not with stupid mosquito's.

right now its still pretty aggressive like normal and still getting mad when we do stuff it doesnt want like pick it up .and im trying to give it water with a syringe then later will attempt food .

its breathing has been the same for 2 days now hopefully with medicine it recovers as it seems to be getting slightly better - less raspy.

I'm sorry to hear this, sending vibes for your bunny x

I'm very sorry to hear this.Has your vet prescribed any pain relief and eye drops?Affected rabbits often develop secondary infections pasteurellosis.This is why your bun has laboured breathing.

I am very sorry :cry:

I am going to be honest and say that your Bun is very unlikely to pull through this. Myxomatosis is a vile disease. At least here in the UK we have a vaccine but even that only gives partial protection.
Please insist that your Rabbit is prescribed daily anti-inflammatory analgesia

I hope for a miracle for your poor Rabbit

Last edited:
Back