• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

rabbit died last night, suddenly

bunnygone

New Kit
i'm wondering if it was the snow.

we're near london and had quite a bit. i did however really stuff the cage with hay/straw and covered them with a heavy blanket and tarpauling over the top.

i have another that's outside. should i bring her in on these cold nights?

thanks for any advice, this is my first post on here.

I am very sorry for your loss :cry:

It is possible that the extremely cold weather caused physiological stress to your Rabbit but generally Rabbits cope with cold weather but not very hot weather.

Was he/she vaccinated against VHD ?
Did he/she have any history of gut/Respiratory tract problems ?
The only way to get some idea of 'why' would be to have a Post Mortem done.

Personally I would bring the remaining Rabbit in. But if he/she is to be in a centrally heated room he/she wont be able to live outdoors again til late Springtime. An alternative might be to move the hutch into a shed ?

Was the hutch in a sheltered part of the garden? If there was loads of straw/hay, and a cover and sheltered, the cold shouldn't really have affected the rabbit. Are they used to being outside? Are they vaccinated? Was there any warnings before he died, ie gone off food etc?

Are your bunnies vaccinated against VHD? I think this is a common cause of sudden bunny death. Sounds like you had them wrapped up cosy and warm so I wouldnt have though cold would have done it.
How old was she?
Your other bun thats left may need a vet check too to make sure she/he is healthy. Really if bun is out they need to stay out as it can be detrimental to their health for them to go in and out from a very cold to a heated environment. Your bunny should have a thick winter coat to protect it and also it does sound like you've done a good job keeping them warm, as I said.
I think if you bought the bunny in you'd have to decide if you wanted to keep it in permanently rather than in during day and out at night.
I'm sorry for your loss x

no she wasn't vaccinated, i haven't even heard of vhd. she was very well, not warning signs at all. she was about four and a half.

the hutches are well sheltered and they have always been outside.

unfortunately i have no shed to put the hutch in and could only bring in it on a temporary basis anyway as the house is small.

i'll take the other rabbit to the vet for a vaccination. how can they catch this disease?

I'm so sorry to hear about your rabbit :cry:
Have you considered doing a post mortem for you rabbit to get to the root cause of it?
Then you can act effectively with your existing rabbit.
Rabbits should have 3 vaccinations a year.
Myxi (every 6 months) and VHD (once a year)
Good luck in looking after your remaining bun, i'm sure it will be grieving, so lots of human affection would be must appreciated from her.
Xx

Hi, I'm so sorry for your loss. I would agree with all of the above, it certainly sounds like VHD. I would certainly contemplate moving your other bun out of the hutch if they shared to reduce chances of him/her contracting it to. I'm sure your remaining bun is missing his/her friend and would appreciate the cuddles and maybe spending the winter indoors with you if it's feasible. But I'd definately look in to myxi and VHD immunisations asap. Your vet should have good information on both of these and they really are not very expensive and well worth getting done.

Sorry again hun and welcome to the RU xx

thank you so much for your advice, i will get to the vet with the other rabbit.

i just hope she didn't suffer too much. she was bright as a button yesterday

You're doing the right thing by popping your other bun to the vet. If you read through the link Lionheadlover posted (sorry maybe you hav ealready) that will tell you a bit more about VHD and myxi etc.
Good luck at the vets with your other bunny x x

Sudden death like this doesn't have to be VHD. I have had a couple of bunnies dieing suddenly like this and a post mortem showed up nothing at all!

I would definitely say though that I would do a post mortem to see whether there was an obvious cause, and having your other bunny vaccinated is a good idea anyway.

Vera

Hello, we're south of London and the same thing happened to our rabbit who was just over 3 years old. We were given it at the end of the summer, by a family who had a number of rabbits and could not look after them any longer. We took one male - the others had been promised elsewhere. He settled down quickly and we soon got him a two story hutch which doubled his housing. He was shorthaired, but developed a wonderful thick winter coat, with no fur loss and put on weight - although did not become overweight. He wasn't a cuddly rabbit, preferring the independent life - if he didn't want you near him a nip would sometimes come your way. He started coming indoors sometimes - scratching at the patio door when he wanted to come in - I would estimate that he did not spend more than an hour a week over several days indoors. At night the hutch was covered in a loose tarpaulin to keep the rain and wind out, but with adequate air. About 8 weeks ago he was rescued from the mouth of a fox by my son. He was very subdued following this, but fortunately was not injured and recovered to normal within a few days. A few nights ago, I could hear thumping outside and found a fox troubling him - fortunately he was in his hutch, but had become distressed. Then the snow came - he wasn't sure at first, but soon started rubbing his face in it, digging it, and hopping through it. This was not for long as we always look out for Mr Fox. Yesterday morning, my wife noticed him taking a few bite from a Rhododendron leaf, something he'd never shown any interest in and could only reach because of the snow weighing it down. He only took about 2 - 3 small bites - more than half of the leaf is still remaining. About 4 hours later we found him dead in his hutch. There were no signs or warning that we saw. It was at this point that my wife remembered the leaf he's chewed and looked it up on the internet - at this point, we found out how poisonous it was.

I'm sorry for writing so much, but I'd like to try and find out what happened. Does anyone think it could have been the Rhododendron leaf - if so, should there have been any signs? Could we have done anything? Was it the cold? the snow?

Also at the back of my mind, I was given some rabbit food last week, from someone who’s rabbit died suddenly of what she though was old age - I think it was about 12 years old - at the back of my mind I'm wondering if there was something wrong with this feed? The frustrating thing is that it was young, fit a healthy and I’m wondering, without stating the obvious, if we have done something wrong? It’s certainly been a steep learning curve – whilst I’ve always been keen to give any animal as much freedom as possible, I’ve now realised that Rabbits are bit difficult.

Looking at this forum, I've now become aware of VHD, something which I'd never heard of - I don't know it had been vaccinated by the previous owner. Any advice would be gratefully received.

Thank you.

PS. Mmm I've just looked up VHD and in it's extreme form, It looks as though this could be the cause, however there were no symptoms. I buried the rabbit in the garden - is this a good idea, or could I be storing up problems for the future?

Last edited:
Hello, we're south of London and the same thing happened to our rabbit who was just over 3 years old. We were given it at the end of the summer, by a family who had a number of rabbits and could not look after them any longer. We took one male - the others had been promised elsewhere. He settled down quickly and we soon got him a two story hutch which doubled his housing. He was shorthaired, but developed a wonderful thick winter coat, with no fur loss and put on weight - although did not become overweight. He wasn't a cuddly rabbit, preferring the independent life - if he didn't want you near him a nip would sometimes come your way. He started coming indoors sometimes - scratching at the patio door when he wanted to come in - I would estimate that he did not spend more than an hour a week over several days indoors. At night the hutch was covered in a loose tarpaulin to keep the rain and wind out, but with adequate air. About 8 weeks ago he was rescued from the mouth of a fox by my son. He was very subdued following this, but fortunately was not injured and recovered to normal within a few days. A few nights ago, I could hear thumping outside and found a fox troubling him - fortunately he was in his hutch, but had become distressed. Then the snow came - he wasn't sure at first, but soon started rubbing his face in it, digging it, and hopping through it. This was not for long as we always look out for Mr Fox. Yesterday morning, my wife noticed him taking a few bite from a Rhododendron leaf, something he'd never shown any interest in and could only reach because of the snow weighing it down. He only took about 2 - 3 small bites - more than half of the leaf is still remaining. About 4 hours later we found him dead in his hutch. There were no signs or warning that we saw. It was at this point that my wife remembered the leaf he's chewed and looked it up on the internet - at this point, we found out how poisonous it was.

I'm sorry for writing so much, but I'd like to try and find out what happened. Does anyone think it could have been the Rhododendron leaf - if so, should there have been any signs? Could we have done anything? Was it the cold? the snow?

Also at the back of my mind, I was given some rabbit food last week, from someone who’s rabbit died suddenly of what she though was old age - I think it was about 12 years old - at the back of my mind I'm wondering if there was something wrong with this feed? The frustrating thing is that it was young, fit a healthy and I’m wondering, without stating the obvious, if we have done something wrong? It’s certainly been a steep learning curve – whilst I’ve always been keen to give any animal as much freedom as possible, I’ve now realised that Rabbits are bit difficult.

Looking at this forum, I've now become aware of VHD, something which I'd never heard of - I don't know it had been vaccinated by the previous owner. Any advice would be gratefully received.

Thank you.

PS. Mmm I've just looked up VHD and in it's extreme form, It looks as though this could be the cause, however there were no symptoms. I buried the rabbit in the garden - is this a good idea, or could I be storing up problems for the future?

I am so sorry to hear about your bun's sudden death. He was a very lucky bunny in that it sounds like you gave him a lovely life.

It could have been the leaf, but 4 hours isn't very long. I would have thought he would have taken longer to pass on.

VHD does kill very suddenly and it could have been that.

Or it could have been shock at the fox. He had a really scary experience and some rabbits would have died at that point. Maybe the fox came sniffing around and it was just too much for him.

I am surprised the bun didnt die of shock while it was in the fox's mouth. He could of died of stressed.

May have been the leaf, may have been VHD that caused his death, i wouldn't of thought it was the food?? Its a shame you burried him in the garden, you could have had a postmortan done on him so you would have known for sure and if there was anything you could have done.

Sounds like you gave him a good life anyway, rip little bunster.

This was not for long as we always look out for Mr Fox. Yesterday morning, my wife noticed him taking a few bite from a Rhododendron leaf, something he'd never shown any interest in and could only reach because of the snow weighing it down. He only took about 2 - 3 small bites - more than half of the leaf is still remaining. About 4 hours later we found him dead in his hutch. There were no signs or warning that we saw. It was at this point that my wife remembered the leaf he's chewed and looked it up on the internet - at this point, we found out how poisonous it was.

Thank you.

Rhododenrons are an 'invasive' species in this country and are extremely toxic to most species, hence why they have managed to thrive beyond many people backgardens in Britain. It is most likely that this was the reason you lost your bun, it would not take a large amount of this to be ingested I'm afraid! I am sorry for your loss. x

so sorry for all the bunnys that are lost. all rabbits vaccinated annually against vhd are protected against teh disease as it is made from the actual virus. vhd can kill suddenly and without warnign it can be passed thorugh anythign that has come into contact with an infection (anythign from clothing food to a cat walking through a garden where an infected bun has weed.... it really is spread very easily.

myxi is another vaccination needed every 6 months to protect your bun they can however still develop myxi which is transmitted through biting insects. but they will get the less severe nodular form. without teh vaccine the bunny will die a slow painful death if contracts it with the vaccine and good imediate vet care and several months nursing the bun can and often do recover(i have had a bunny recover)

in regards to any remainng bunnys get vet checked asap and vaccinated..note 2 weeks should be held between vaccinations.. i would in this instance do the vhd jab first.

the leaf oculd have poisoned the bun there is no way to know without a tox report of a post mortem however if you have other bunnys or plan to please remove the plant from the garden replace it with somethign bunny freindly.
shock can also be a killer when a bn goes into shock like a human they need extra warmth as have difficulty regulating temperature so bringing indoors after a major frgith is ideal.

with regards moving lonely bun indoors if bun is already neutered and litter trained you can allow free run of house provided cables and wires are out of harms way and toxic plants!!! so sorry for al lthe losses i hope al lremaining buns get rebonded soon xx

Rhododenrons are an 'invasive' species in this country and are extremely toxic to most species, hence why they have managed to thrive beyond many people backgardens in Britain. It is most likely that this was the reason you lost your bun, it would not take a large amount of this to be ingested I'm afraid! I am sorry for your loss. x

Thank you and to the others for their kind words.

Its so frustrating that this could have been easily avoided if we had known, he was so fit, happy and healthy and an absolutely ideal pet for us that it has come as a real shock.

This is the list I found, if anyone else is interested -

http://www.lagomania.com/plant.php

looking at the list, it's frightening that there are so many "poisonous Plants" however I suppose this needs to be brought into perspective and some may give an upset stomach and others are more serious.

Thank you all again.

i'm wondering if it was the snow.

we're near london and had quite a bit. i did however really stuff the cage with hay/straw and covered them with a heavy blanket and tarpauling over the top.

i have another that's outside. should i bring her in on these cold nights?

thanks for any advice, this is my first post on here.

Rabbit can get emotional stress from losing a companion. So with the bonding of a companion, you need to get her to smell the body of her companion for about 1/2 hr., then look around in one of the rescue centers in your area, and get him a new bunny companion.

Get yourself a rehome bun in your area to refill the energy in your home, many rabbits are waiting for months in a small living area inside a rescue center, waiting for a good home.

here's a list of rescue center in UK

http://www.rabbitrehome.org.uk/centres.asp

or go to the Rabbit In NEED section and see who's available

Or post in the rabbit in need section, many members w/ rescue centers will response to you

Very sorry for your loss

Back