• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

My poor little boy

Jenefina

Mama Doe
Its always happening to him and i don't understand. about two hours ago i noticed a small patch of blood on the floor and immediately checked both buns and surprise its Pye who's ripped a back claw off. it hasn't bled too much and i've cleaned the wound with some salt water. I wasn't too worried as he was putting weight on his foot but then he started sitting funny and has stopped eating. I've felt his tum and its bloated again. After it happened last time in december i took him to the vets in the morning as he still wasn't right and he said that he wished he could give me a magical cure but unfortunately i have a gassy bunny. I got some more metacam when i was there last time so he has a does of that, 1ml of infacol and some pineapple juice mixed with water (thanks to you guys i now always have some in the fridge. He's so far in the last hours done about 6 poops which is an amazing thing for him, normally it takes forever for him to get things through so i'm trying to keep positive.
I just don't understand why he's tuck with this horrible tummy problem, its not fair and i hate seeing him go through this.

Sorry to hear this is happening. Could it be diet?

I've cut so much out of his diet i feel horrible since he gets no variation, poor pudding must wonder what she's moved in with. He gets a bit of carrot (his favourite thing in the world ever) spring greens, herbage and i've switched from readigrass to forage. He gets the occasional treat biscuit but i told the vet about those and he said as long as they were occasional then it was ok.

I just don't know what else to do for him, i feel so bloody useless. he's done a couple more poops but he's obviously uncomfortable from the way he's sitting and i can pick him up without too much trouble so i know he's not right. its just **** that he can go for months being fine and a lunatic and then all of a sudden he's ill. so that's twice in december after nothing for months and now again tonight :(

aw im sorry :( wish i could offer you some advice but im still learning about these things.

i'm sending him some get well vibes and i hope he pulls through ok :)

keep us updated xx

thanks for all the vibes, he's pooped a bit more but still very lethargic. gonna try some more pineapple juice, might see if i can mix a bit of recovery in save giving him more than one syringe. think we're both in for another long night

I know how frustrating it is when they get this. They can be fine in the morning and next time you check them they have that look when you know something is not right. I got home the other day and one of mine was just hunched in his dirt tray, food gone from the morning but definitely not right and not wanting his tea. I t makes you wonder what triggers it sometimes. I gave infacol and syringed bio lapis and gave tummy rubs and luckily he picked up and started cleaning himself late that night. By morning he rushed to greet me and was back to normal with poos in his hutch. Really weird isn't it? Hope yours picks up soon. Fingers crossed for you. Pam

I know how frustrating it is when they get this. They can be fine in the morning and next time you check them they have that look when you know something is not right. I got home the other day and one of mine was just hunched in his dirt tray, food gone from the morning but definitely not right and not wanting his tea. I t makes you wonder what triggers it sometimes. I gave infacol and syringed bio lapis and gave tummy rubs and luckily he picked up and started cleaning himself late that night. By morning he rushed to greet me and was back to normal with poos in his hutch. Really weird isn't it? Hope yours picks up soon. Fingers crossed for you. Pam

Thanks Pam, he generally tends to perk up between 4-6am and decides he's ravaged and goes in search of his breakfast, its like nothing has happened, mean while i'm like an extra from night of the living dead

haha! must say that image made me chuckle :p zombie wandering around and a bunny hopping about all happy..totally unknowing of the worry you go through! :)

6am ish this morning he was after his breakfast and is now throwing himself round the flat without a care in the world! and yes i do look like a zombie extra!!

One thing i have noticed is when he starts off running he's flicking his back leg out where he lost his claw so its a trip to the vets tomorrow for a manicure. I know i should be attempting it myself but all of his claws are black so i wouldn't dare trust myself not to hit the quick.

Just so glad we've got through another episode and hope the next one is a long time off. Thanks for your replies and vibes, its means a lot to know there's other crazy bunny people out there and i'm not alone!

Back