• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Looking for a really good rabbit hutch.

Skye

Young Bun
Hey,

I'm looking to buy a new rabbit hutch and am looking for a really good big hutch, with run attached. Can anyone recommened a company to try?

Thank you

It depends on your budget and space I'm afraid. I assume that the bunnies are outdoor ones? If I had a garden I would have as big a shed as I could find. Sheds seem to be the best option if that is possible. There are a lot of threads on here about sheds and houses do a search for them.

Otherwise there are a load of options. Lots of people have 24-hour run/hutch combos in which case the hutch can be smaller as long as the run is secure and VERY large. If there isn't a 24-hour run option then the hutch does indeed need to be enormous. Willow Palace is meant to be alright at P@H but I wouldn't pay the £200 for it - again a shed would be better.

You could pay a carpenter to make one for you as well. A couple of people on this forum know people who can make them for you http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=165005&highlight=hutch

Emma

Hello,

If you have the space I would definately recommend a shed or playhouse :)

If you would rather have a hutch then Fife Rabbit Rescue sell 6ft x 2.5ft x 2.5ft hutches for £140. I have two of these and they are excellent quality and very sturdy. They are made from very thick wood and have fox proof wire. They don't have attached runs though so you would have to buy a run seperately and attach it. The hutches come with a stand but they can come off.

There are some pictures here:

http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/kareen.mitchelson/Hutch6x25x25Feet140#

I would firstly suggest getting a nice shed with attatched run, if this is not possible the Ryedale hutches are really well made and they also do runs which can be attatched.

I got a local shed manufacturer to build me a 8ft x 4ft x 4ft hutch. It's based on the Forsham 'Really Big Hutch' but is actually bigger. It sits on a 10inch high stand and cost me £250. I have a couple of cardboard boxes inside filled with hay, a tunnel and a small run house - so lots of hideaways and extra places to keep warm. Also Megazorb on the floor over newspaper.

At the moment I've got a huge sheet of tarpaulin covering it and I pull up the front section during the day. I can't decide whether to get the guy on ebay to do me an all over thermal cover - or fix insulation and ply boards to the ceiling and walls.

Any suggestions welcome!

Roz

Here's my hutch. The mesh door and the plain centre door open into a 6ft x 4ft room. The far door is to the sleeping quarters. I've got some locks to add on the doors. Last pic is my dog Fresca. She's a Maremma Sheepdog and looks after 'the babies'!

hutchfront.JPG

meshruby.JPG

hutchfresca.JPG

At the moment it's a case of free range hopping round the garden which is secure but come spring I'll be erecting a run at the front of the hutch. They'll still have access to the garden though. :)

Roz

Roz that looks a really good sized hutch and I love the guard dog :lol:

Have to agree. Best bit is that if a relative comes to stay, you have a nice place outside to put them.:lol::lol:

No really, I love it and wish your carpenter was local to us!

Hi

The people who made it are just local shed builders. I'm sure other shed builders in other areas would do the same. I actually got quoted slightly less for one from a place in Rugby I found on the net that produced good quality stuff - but they couldn't deliver to Yorkshire.

Roz :)

great hutch you have there!

I have my new hutch set up, and have bought a huge piece of tarpaulin to cover it at night, what is that you also have under the tarp?

im trying to find something else to put between the tarp and hutch....?

Hiya

It's a large blanket. I just pushed it as far across the roof as I could and I pull the front section down at night - then the tarp over it.

I'm actually planning to insulate the hutch. Bought some Thermawrap from Focus DIY (they have a three for two offer on it) and will fit ply on top. Also going to fit some shutters over the mesh doors and then, ultimately, I'm hoping I won't need the tarp.

Or will I?? LOL

Roz :)

Back