• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

clear polythene or tarpauline?

gill shirlaw

Warren Scout
hiya

does anyone here from glasgow scotland know where could get clear polythen or tarpauline for my aviary to put up when really wet for my buns but it needs to be clear so they can see totally.

Not sure if b and q does it last time i looked it was only very heavy misted kind of tarpauline which could not be seen through

thanks in advance if anyone knows

gill:wave:

thanks julie and everyone who replied very helpful indeed especially the website julie that is exactly what im looking for and pretty reasonable too, thanks so much, appreciated.

How is is going with your buns and the fox are they still inside and what are you going to do will they be kept as house bunnies now, that must have been a terrible scarey time for you i kept following the thread to see how you were. Hope things work out for you.

take care

Have you thought about corragated plastic roofing sheets?

They are fairly cheap and you don't get the 'sagging' that you do with tarps.

Have you thought about corragated plastic roofing sheets?

They are fairly cheap and you don't get the 'sagging' that you do with tarps.

I use these. My avairy is covered for the winter and it doesnt blow in the wind and they can see out. It works perfect. I will take it down in the summer as i dont want cooked bunnies:shock: It would get like a green house.

thanks julie and everyone who replied very helpful indeed especially the website julie that is exactly what im looking for and pretty reasonable too, thanks so much, appreciated.

How is is going with your buns and the fox are they still inside and what are you going to do will they be kept as house bunnies now, that must have been a terrible scarey time for you i kept following the thread to see how you were. Hope things work out for you.

take care

:wave: No probs, I thought it looked quite good for the days it's rainy during the day. If you remember, my hutch covers are green and if I were to leave them down everytime it rains the buns wouldn't see much light! I was thinking of getting some clear tarps to make a cover just for the mesh part of the hutch.

Bunnies are back outside and although I don't want to jinx it.... the fox hasn't been back since before Xmas. I'm still sleeping with the window open and the buns are barricaded in at night. The slightest wee noise has me up hanging out the window! :roll:

I have one of those in the second link and while it is really good quality (mine is about 4 years old now) it isn't seethrough. It does let a good amount of light through but your bunnies won't be able to see anything through it and the sun won't pass through.

thanks everyone great ideas and will be using them, i had thought of the corrugated ones too but wanted something that could be permanent for summer to that could be rolled up as lets be honest summer here can still be pretty rainy so thanks for that.

The first one of julies ebay addresses has ones with totally clear polythene that would be ideal so will probably get that and they would be able to see out perfectly.

I've just ordered one of those from the first link to replace my current tarp so if you can wait a few days before ordering I can tell you what it's like :)

thanks santa i will do that when it comes if you post what it looks like too that would be great and a good help to know how good it is. Did you find it expensive and are you covering a hutch or an aviary just trying to get an idea of price as they are closed till tomorrow and my husband seems to think they will be really expensive.

thanks again though appreciated.

I use the cheap 87p clear plastic shower curtain from Ikea. They don't last forever, maybe a couple of months at the most, but for 87p they are cheap as chips!! You can cut them to size as required.

Although if you have an aviary, not sure whether they will be big enough for what you want.

Here is a link

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/90099501

thanks santa i will do that when it comes if you post what it looks like too that would be great and a good help to know how good it is. Did you find it expensive and are you covering a hutch or an aviary just trying to get an idea of price as they are closed till tomorrow and my husband seems to think they will be really expensive.
:

I think it was about £28 including postage, it's 6*12ft which is handy as the run is 6*12 :lol: It's actually come up a bit bigger, it's got about 8" overhang I reckon :)

It's really good quality actually - not quite as strong as my previous tarp but in some ways its better as it isn't 'meshed' like tarp so less likely to get snagged on something. It is reinforced round the edge though so should tie down well. I'd just make sure there's a slight slope or peak in the middle of the run and the cover is fairly tight, as otherwise the water will pond on it instead of draining off and could damage your run.

It is definitely properly seethrough - as you'd expect there is a slight loss of clarity just by the fact that you're looking through plastic, but I doubt you'd find it any clearer. I'm really pleased with it :) I would take a photo, but it's dark now :lol:

hi,on the run part of my bunny house, i bought 3mm clear perspex in sheets cut to sise to fit all open sides of the run, apart from the little wire door, i can take the sheets off whenever i want, it looks like glass, but much safer, and keeps wind n rain out, buns love it and make much more use of their run on horrid days, cos they stay dry. i ordered all the pieces to be cut to sise of the internet, and it came within a week.

sticky bun...how much did it cost? Ive got 12ft by 5 ft of run to cover, would be interested in how much it cost you and what company it was.

thanks

my o/h put me some of those clear corrugated plastic sheets round the sides of my runs, then when the summer comes hes just guna unscrew them while it gets cold again and i sat in the run with the buns and its lovely n cosy lol:lol:

Back