• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

What are the chances of pregnancy?

Bellatrix's

New Kit
We had two Lops (the male has passed away and is dearly missed!)- a neutered male and an unspayed female. 16 days after the male's surgery we put them together...he humped her repeatedly for an hour on and off during two sessions of introduction. Only recently did we find out that the sperm is still active after neutering a rabbit (our vet did not mention this to us, and we are first time rabbit owners).

What are the chances that the female could be pregnant?

It's not too likely. There doesn't seem to be much consensus on how long after the op is safe but 16 days is a fairly long period. The advice of my vet always used to be two weeks and I haven't had any accidents :)

I'd agree with Tam that it's unlikely that she's pregnant, as long as the op is done properly, the bits that make fresh sperm are removed in the op so there will only be the ones from within the tubes left over, and the chances of those still being viable after a fortnight are low. It's often recommended now to wait 6 weeks after the op but that does have a large margin of error just to be on the safe side. I wouldn't worry too much, I think it's very unlikely :)

saying that thoguh there is a chance....another post on here is very similar and the female turned out to be pregnant. the males can still be fertile for 4-8 weeks even after neutering.

Back