• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Fudge is at the vets..teeth Question...please help

FudgeMallow

Mama Doe
Fudge is at the vets just now getting her cheek teeth burred (filed) and im so worried!:cry::cry:

Im going to speak to my vet this afternoon but want to know if anyone knows here! Fudge has to lumps under her chin! The vet said its her tooth roots! I have noticed skye has one when she came home from his dental on Friday!:(

Its a hard boney lump attatched to their jaw! What is this and is it a cause for concern?

My vet said its nothing to worry about?

Help please?:(

Last edited:
I was also wondering something! Fudge had her first dental at 6 monh old and used to always get a popcorn stick from the vitakraft products or a carrot and fennel stick from the natural products once a month and stopped giving them in august!

Since i stopped giving them she has had to have alot more dentals! would the popcorn stick of been helping keep her teeth filed for a little longer as they are really hard!!

It just dondered me that it could of possibly been helping! She also stopped eating as much hay when i stopped giving the popcorn stick!!

Might just be a coincidence!!

Last edited:
Hello :wave:

I think I replied to one of your other posts about Fudge. I had a bun with the same problem. And I have a bun that needs his teeth burred every 8 weeks.

Lumps on the underside of the jaw are usually tooth roots. The roots don't actually grow but as the teeth grow and don't get worn down the pressure pushes the teeth down into the jaw and results in the roots being pushed through the other side.

Sometimes it doesn't bother the rabbit but sometimes it does. My bun Leo has started to have trouble with his roots and is on metacam because it is causing pain in his jaw. It is also common for abcesses to develop because the roots can get infected.

There is not much you can do except try and get them to wear their teeth down more and get their teeth burred regularly enough to stop the them getting too long. The only way you can see the extent of the problem is to have x-rays done. I had Leo x-rayed at the same time as he had a dental. The x-ray cost the same as the dental so it came to twice as much as I usually pay. It did show that it was his tooth roots that were causing the pain but there was nothing more they could do exept give him metacam.
It is up to you whether you think an x-ray would be worth doing.

I'm not sure about the sticks, I have never tried them. Maybe you could try giving her them again and see if the time between dentals increases.
When rabbits start having tooth root problems their jaw can be sore and they might stop eating as much hay so it could be a coincidence that it happened at the same time as you stopped the sticks :?:

Thanks for the reply!! I was told by someone at work that the lupms were an abcess and was to get her to the vet and get her teeth taken out but my vet said there was nothing to panic about just yet! So i just had to make sure!

Will try anything to get her teeth filed! She was in vets monday for a check up before xmas which im glad i did as she would have needed a dental over the xmas period! Glad i cought it in time!

I think she will be pleased to be getting her treats back:lol:

Thanks again :D:wave:

Thats me just home with Fudge!
Vet said that when she got a better look in her mouth there was 1 spur that had formed! Thanks god i got it done 2day otherwise it would have been an emergency and she would have been in pain!!!:(

Anyway thank god she is home and safe:Dshe can have a really good xmas now:D
My little munchkin, what would i do without her:love::love::love::love::love:

Glad to hear your bun is on the mend. My bunny Benjy who has now sadly passed away had quite a big lump on his bottom jaw for the last few years of his life. The lump was actually infection in his jaw as his teeth got infected when he got old, and just felt like a hard bony lump. He had to have dentals frequently for the last few years of his life and ended up with hardly any teeth left bless him!

She is back to her normal self this morning! so happy to see her happy:D

When i got her home she was still a bit wobbly due to the GA so i sat with herunder my covers on my bed! She took ages to heat up and she took longer to come out of the GA than last time!

But she is eating and pooping just fine! Although she just turned her nose up at the readigrass and she used to wolf it down!!

Could it just be the GA or has she lost interest?

:wave: I have the same problem with Homer, he has to have a dental every 4 weeks, however he will not eat hay no matter what I try. His teeth have grown through his jaw and if you feel along the jaw line it is lumpy, if I feel Katy's it is relatively smooth. Homer is very well and happy and he does not need painkiller - he is a very content bunny.

If Fudge eats hay this is the best way to keep the back teeth down as it is the chewing action that keeps them down (side to side),where chews etc keep their front teeth in check it does not help the back ones. They eat with more of an "up and down" action with food other than hay.

Don't worry about Fudge not eating the readigrass yet, her mouth may still be a little tender to chew it. At this point as long as she is eating something it is good.

Back