• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

boy and girl bunnies

Rhianie

Young Bun
Hello everyone :)

I am new to these forums and was wondering if someone could help me... 2 weeks ago we got 2 "female" rabbits, 10 weeks old. However tonight, Molly has been paying Bess alot more "attention" than usual... which made us check and we are sure Molly is in fact a boy! The problem is, the buns have been living together since they were born, so my first question is could Bess be pregnant? And also we were told to get them neutered at 16 weeks, is it safe to leave them together until this time or should they be separated?

Sorry for all the questions!

Rhian

Oh dear :? Id get them to the vets to get checked for sure :) Some vets do a free nurse clinic, and she will be able to tell you their sexes :) If they are male/female then she may well be pregnant :( They will be able to be neutered at 16 weeks but i wouldnt leave them together until then as buns pregnancies only last around a month :shock::roll:

A trip to the vets i think would be best :) Id hate for you to seperate if theyre both girls :( xXx

thank you so much for replying so quick, I will ring the vets first thing in the morning and get them booked in. I think they will be sad to be separated as they are bonded and don't like being apart. I am hoping its a false alarm and I have got it wrong *fingers crossed* thanks again xxx

If your girl is definitely only 12 weeks (n.b. pet shops will often lie about age) then the chances of her being pregnant are virtually nil.

How did you get on at the vets today? :) xXx

They had no free appointments today so they are both booked in for 9.00am tomorrow morning :) the vet I spoke to said she will check the sexes and also check if they are ready to be neutered. I read that usually they wait until the buns are 16 weeks old though?

We got the buns from the RSPCA and at the time they were about 10 weeks old so they might be a bit young yet :(

I'll post some piccies of the little devils in the photos section :) I think we may have to rename Molly though! xx

They had no free appointments today so they are both booked in for 9.00am tomorrow morning :) the vet I spoke to said she will check the sexes and also check if they are ready to be neutered. I read that usually they wait until the buns are 16 weeks old though?

We got the buns from the RSPCA and at the time they were about 10 weeks old so they might be a bit young yet :(

I'll post some piccies of the little devils in the photos section :) I think we may have to rename Molly though! xx

Where abouts are you from?? Would be awful if they were male/female :( All the bunnies at our branch are vet checked/sexed before leaving us :) Hope everything goes well tomorrow morning :) Look foward to the pics :D xXx

Where abouts are you from?? Would be awful if they were male/female :( All the bunnies at our branch are vet checked/sexed before leaving us :) Hope everything goes well tomorrow morning :) Look foward to the pics :D xXx

We're from Warrington but the bunnies are from Manchester as they didn't have any pairs at the Warrington branch and we wanted 2 to keep each other company while we are out :) Yep I am keeping my fingers crossed that they are both girls after all and its a false alarm, will let you know tomorrow when I find out :) Thanks again for your help xxx

if you have a boy and know a rabbit savy vet depending on breed they can be done from 13 weeks girls because there parts are so delicate have to wait longer around 5 months old but it could bode in your favour really so you can do one and save to do the other, as once sexually mature same sex buns can get hormonal and start to fight

if you have a boy and know a rabbit savy vet depending on breed they can be done from 13 weeks girls because there parts are so delicate have to wait longer around 5 months old but it could bode in your favour really so you can do one and save to do the other, as once sexually mature same sex buns can get hormonal and start to fight

Hello! Well it turns out both of the bunnies are boys! The first vet that saw them said Bess was a girl, and Molly a boy, but once they were under anaesthetic they realised both are boys! They have both been neutered now and seem to be doing ok :) I better start thinking of some new names hehe... I have a question though, will 2 boys be ok living together? They live in the house with us so it would be quite hard to keep them apart :? xxx

Hiya
I have two litter mates living together, and they are fine. They have grown up together and now their hormones should disappear, so no problems!

Shouldnt be a problem keeping them together, especially as you've had them neutered before the fighting has started :) I had 2 brothers that fought but they werent neutered until 20 weeks :( they fought before the neuter :(

I cant believe you were given them as 2 girls and theyre 2 boys :shock:

Sending lots of healing vibes for them both :) xXx

Hello! Thanks again for everyones advice, the bunnies are both doing fine after their op. They still seem best of friends, and have actually wanted more attention from us since :D

I know, they must have been hard to sex or something because the vet got it wrong too, it was only once they were both under anaesthetic they realised they are both boys. So they have also had a name change - Bugsy & Biggles :D

xxx

Back