• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Baby Food For Rabbits ?

bunny babe

Wise Old Thumper
Hi

One of my Bunnies “Homer” is off his food (vet checked him this morning and he has a inflamed cheek) I believe some people have given their rabbits baby food.

Is that correct ? and if so can anyone recommend which is the most suitable.

Thanks

I tend to use it to flavour other food, like mushed pellets with warm water, as the sweetness encourages them to start eating. You want one that is fruit or vegetable based and the organic ones are the safest bet to avoid sweetners etc.

We use an Apple & Blackberry one normally but tend only to put a small teaspoon in due to the high sugar content. (I think the brand is Hipp).

When Rudy needed syringe feeding the vets sent him home with some baby
food. They kept him in on and off for about 3 days. Don't know the brand as they tipped a bit into a container but it was power - to add water to a paste, fruit flavour (banana and apple, I think).

non meat baby food is okay. Heinz w/ contents like corns, carrots, etc.

My personal favor is to get some raspberry or blackberry, smash it w/ the juicer and cut hay stem in 1 mm length, mix the 2, and syringe feed the bun. Blackberry or raspberry is anti-toxic, very good for their health, and the hay stem gives fiber

Thanks, I got some HIPP organic apple and pear pudding. Will that be OK? I will try mixing it with some mushed pellets.

I don't have any blackberries etc I can mix together, do you think I could do similar with veg (I have bought the shop out :oops:)

Thanks, I got some HIPP organic apple and pear pudding. Will that be OK? I will try mixing it with some mushed pellets.
:)

I've used that one too, was Caspian favourite. Even when he was really bad he was still drinking it from the syringe.

I try to only use Baby Food as a last resort as it really has no fibre, essential for a Buns gut flora to remain 'healthy'.

Can you get any Critical Care ? It is very palatable and is a much more appropriate supportive feed.

If I do have to resort to Baby Food I use these :

http://www.plum-baby.co.uk/baby-food-range/#Spinach, parsnip & basilTitle

Or I make a puree of Veg. I dont use fruit Baby Foods as the sugar content can upset a Bun's guts, especially if they are on abx.

I have some science recovery to give him. He is nibbling bits.

How do I puree veg, just put veg in and some water and put it in the chopper thing.

Baby food and pellet mush

Following my vet's recommendation, I have used Hipp organic baby food many times for old, sick or recovering rabbits. I haven't found any other brands which are pure fruit and veg.

Several varieties are available. Any without milk products or meat are OK, eg carrot, apple, apple & pear, mixed veg, and there is sometimes a blueberry type one and a red fruits one. Different rabbits have different preferences so I alternate them. Carrot will stain clothing.

For longer term syringe feeding (more than a couple of days), save the baby food jars. Put rabbit food pellets in to about a quarter of a jar full. Almost fill jar with just off the boil water (may crack the jar if too hot) and mix with a fork after 10 mins or so to get a smooth paste. Add more pellets or water as needed to get the right mix.

When cool, store unused mash in fridge for up to 24hrs.
Use spare jar to warm up individual feeds with warm water (either add to food and stir in, or put hot water in a big mug and put jar in this to warm through) and keep the main supply in the fridge to avoid contamination. It syringes more easily if you add 2 or 3 teaspoons of baby food to the jar of pellet mash. Fibres tend to jam up the syringe and the baby food lubricates it.

I use 10ml syringes and rinse well between uses.

This is cheaper than proprietary powder mixes and keeps your bunny on its regular diet as much as possible. Always supply their usual food as well as they may start eating when you are not looking!

I recently kept an elderly bunny going for a couple of months until he started eating properly again by himself.

I have some science recovery to give him. He is nibbling bits.

How do I puree veg, just put veg in and some water and put it in the chopper thing.

I microwave the veg then put it in a liquidiser.

You can make up a liquid feed by soaking pellets (which-ever ones you feed the Bun) in boiled water, allow to cool. Then add some probiotic, preferably Fibreplex. Put it all in a liquidiser. You can store it in the fridge for 24 hours and just warm up enough for every feed.

:)

Thank you for the recipes Jane.

Thankfully Homer has started to eat within the last hour (including pellets) but I will certainly make a note for future reference. He was not keen on the baby food - he licked it off my finger then practically spat it out:lol:

Back