• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Grrr Autumn and a hay problem!!

lottielouise

Wise Old Thumper
Autumn in a previous life was a house bun, she is un neutered at the minute (booked for three weeks time), 18mths-2 years old.

I have now bonded with Charlie, and they live outside. Last week, after the initial bonding I put them in the outhouse, and Autumn moved all the hay out ot the hutch, I then put it back in and it went on like this.

They move outside at the beginning of the week. Some slight moving of hay but not much and I just stuffed it back in.

I have just been out to clean etc and found that she had did it again, however, she had blocked the ladders with all the hay and neither bun could get down. Not a problem today as the weather is minging, but poor Charlie must have been crossing his legs for most of the day as the first thing he did was make a beeline for the litter tray.

Is there anything I can do? I am very Aware that as Autumn is a newly outdoor bun she is succeptable to the cold, and I am trying to make it as warm and cosy as poss.

I have put plenty of hay in, which Charlie seems to like, but Autumn doesn't and scrapes the majority of it out. they have a snugglesafe, the hutch has a tarp, although I am looking into one of those thermal covers from the hutch man.(he only seems to open e-mails once a week)

What can I do? is there anything more I can do?

Is there anywhere else you can put the hay so it doesn't get moved but can still be eaten? I have more than one "compartment" in both Kiki and Hiro's hutches and if I'm not careful it all ends up at the bottom of their run - so I put it in one of the side compartments and cross my fingers :lol:

Maybe use something other than hay in their sleeping area? Like vetbed with shredded newspaper, or straw? Put the hay into hay racks.

We've lined hector and honey's hutch with vetbed/fleecy blankets (underneath and on the walls in the sleeping bit, to keep them warm - and then they have their hay in a hay rack (and in their litter tray). You could try doing that - that way they would still be warm but she would have less hay to move around everywhere.

Mine don't throw it about too much so the pieces they sit on aren't fixed. I've got stuff with a non-slip bottom which is quite good. I've used gaffer (not sure if thats how you spell it?) tape to fix it to the walls.

Ok I put a fleece in last night and it ended up ouside the bedroom, though not outside the hutch. The snuggle safe is inside the sleeping area. Hay is currently being given in a shopping basket (hand basket). No tipping over etc

She seems warm, no icy cold ears yet, happy, is eating and pooing well.

Bought another fleece and considering taping part of it down.

Back