• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Harleys teeth

MellyRabiit

Alpha Buck
Went to the vets last night for a full check up on Harley, our new bun.

When he checked his back teeth he said they are slightly uneven!

What does this mean?

He siad he will probably need some work but that could be in 3 months or 3 years. Its just a waiting game.

What is involved with dentals, costs etc?

Also can I prevent it by buying him special hay etc?

Many thanks..

When I took Douglas to the vets in Feb, they said he had slight spurs/ uneven wear on the back teeth. They said would need doing in a few months, since then, they have said this eveytime he's been there - they haven't got any worse, and the last vet I saw said she couldn't see anything majorly wrong. It has nearly been a year now since they were first checked, and he doesn't need them doing at the mo.
It panicked me a bit at first as was worried about GA, but so far, so good he must be eating well.
Hope that puts your mind at rest a little. You will just have to wait and see how much they grow/ wear down

Is there anything you give your one to prevent it..
Any particular hay etc?

They really like dried grass and they eat Jollyes hay. They always have loadsof hay and I move it around the hutch/ run to make them think it is new hay. I have tried fancy hays, but they don't eat it.

I have two buns that have some uneven wear on their molars.
One is an older rabbit who I adopted and he has not had any problems with it. I have been encouraging him to eat plenty of hay (I just use a bale from a farm) and he gets a large handfull of readigrass as well. His veg is mostly leafy greens e.g. spring greens, herbs, rocket etc. as these are better for getting them to wear their teeth down than crunchy veg.

The other bun started needing dentals at 2 years old but he is very stubborn when it comes to eating hay. I have tried him with lots of different kinds and given him a selection but he just isn't interested :roll: He needs his teeth done every 2 months now and it costs about £60 each time. He is given a sedative then a light Ga and they burr off any spurs that have formed. He recovers very well from it and is always bright and happy when I bring him home :)

I too have a dental bun (won't eat hay what so ever :roll:). He has his teeth done conscious once a month - cost is approx £20. If a GA is involved it is about £80 I think, but he hasn't had to have one under GA since last year.

Hopefully the hay should help to keep your bunnies teeth down so dentals are kept to a minimum (if at all).

I have a bun with serious dental disease as well :( He is going in for a dental tomorrow. Have been told by vet to try and get him eating hay which he doesn't eat at the moment, so I've just sent off for the sample pack from The Hay experts to see if he likes any of those! If so will be stocking up, as I guess even if they are fairly pricey will probably be cheaper than having dentals every few months under GA, which I want to avoid as he has other dental problems other than spurs, big problems with tooth roots etc.

Vet also advised me to try and get him to eat more grass as well, which he won't eat if I pick and put in his food bowl in hutch!

Back