• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Dental after care

karen&poppy

Warren Scout
Hi,

Just a quick one - having Poppy's back teeth filed on Friday and I was wondering about the after care she'd need as she's having GA.

I know last year when she had them done, it was advised that she stayed indoors but that was mainly because she was spayed at the same time.

However, is it better that she stays indoors this time or will she be OK outdoors as normal?

Also, she is now bonded which she wasn't when she last had GA. I'm taking Fudge to the vets with her but will he be OK with her afterwards? Not sure how groggy she'll be, last time she was quite groggy but unsure about this time as it'l obviously be a shorter procedure.

Obviously would prefer her to stay outside as its what she's used to but wanted to check. The vets i am going to is qualified in exotic medicine particularly rabbit medicine so i'm confident in whatever advice they give me on Friday, but would like to be extra prepared as i've never experienced a rabbit after solely a dental.

Sorry for bombarding you - any advice would be appreciated!!

Karen xx

She will need to be inside, for the first night at least. When bunnies have a GA they can't regulate their body temp, so need some assistance. If you put her outside she would be at risk of shock and death.

I often take my dental bunnies with their bunny friend and they have so far always been fine together. They seem to come back (from my vets at least) not that dopey, and like to have a friend to snuggle. If you are worried you can always say to whoever you check them in with that if they have any concerns about him being with her, then feel free to contact you and you will go and get him, or if that's not possible provide a second water bowl and another carry case so in the unlikely event he doesn't do so well with her he can go in a carry case until you can pick them up.

I would suggest getting all her favourite foods in to bribe her for after. Hopefully she will eat quickly, but it will depend on if the spurs have damaged her mouth at all. If her mouth has been cut in any way, she will also need some Metacam for a few days until the wounds have healed.

I always keep rabbits in after a GA, not only do they need to be kept warm but I find it easier to monitor them, and if they aren't doing so well, its much nicer not to have to wander outside in the middle of the night.
I usually try to temp them with things like dandelion and grated carrots, along with a bowl of water and mix. If they haven't eaten or passed droppings by the next day, contact the vet again as they may need a gut stimulant and/or painkiller.

Back