• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Unknown illness

Hi I hope someone can pehaps give me a little bit of hope.
I have a 5yr old dwarf lop called Cheeko who I found this morning a bit lethargic. He was very quiet not going anywhere and not eating, on top of this I was able pick him up and put him on his back (first time ever!). I took him to the vet immediately but the vet isn't sure whats wrong. He has been having his teeth checked regulary for a couple of years as some spurs were found but they have never caused him any bother and the vet today said he saw no inflammation, redness or soreness in his mouth. Initially the vet was going to give him a dental first thing tmrw but since I left him there the vet seems to have had a re-think and now is going to try to persevere with blood tests I requested (he couldn't get blood tonight will try agian tmrw) as he is 'less convinced that it is a tooth problem'.

I don't know what could be wrong, he is a house bunny only other animal he has contact with is my kitten and there is no sign of injury. The vet says he isn't in pain but has put him on antibiotics and pain relief and has syringe fed him. This care will continue throughout the night. Has anyone experienced anything similar? Any ideas what might be going on? Any hope that I am going to get my grumpy bun back the way he should be all feisty and independent?

Did the vet feel his tummy and listen to his heart and lungs?

Is it a rabbit savvy vet?

It's good that you are going to do bloods, but they might be too delayed depending on what it is.

Is he pooing, weeing, eating and drinking normally?

Hi sky, yes the vet felt his abdomen and said it felt empty no lumps or bumps and he didn't seem to show signs of discomfort when being squished. He listened to heart and lungs and all sounded fine. He was peeing and pooing normally yesterday, today he has had a bit of wet (soft) poo which he gets every once in a while.
He hasn't eaten his food overnight and refused his curly kale this morning which isn't like him, normally he is pratically in the bag!!!

I'm not sure it was the best vet in the practice for bunnies as he was the last one I saw who cut Cheeko's nails and as I found out today being able to inspect him without either of us being terrorised he has a few very very long nails which the vet missed. The vet also said he wanted to ask another vet in the morning about the dental.

I think he has drunk overnight but def no food since yesterday.

Another thing, I asked if blood or urine tests could be done, the vet said in bunnies there are very few tests which can be carried out but he would persevere. Surely if his organs were in trouble a blood test would show that?

When the vet called me a couple hours ago he said he had tried to get blood from both sides of the neck but no luck so he will wait untill tmrw and try again, give Cheeks time to rest.

i have a horrible feeling he isnt coming home

I didnt' have Cheeko vaccinated as I have had house bunnies for about 12 years and have never found it to be necessary, he doesn't come into contact with any other animals. Nobody gets past my front door with shoes on, nobody I know has regular contact with bunnies and also the breeder I got him from actually advised against the myxy vac as apparently it isnt 100% failsafe and many bunnies get ill from the vac.

In terms of the vaccs, they can get a milder form of myxi, but its rarely terminal in vaccinated bunnies, but it is rarely survived in unvaccinated bunnies. They is transmitted on flies and fleas, so that's not down to people.

With VHD (which I suspect may be what foxyfaerie is getting at) is a full vaccination. The interesting thing with VHD is that it can stay alive in the environment for many months.

When you bring hay into the house, that can easily have been around wild rabbits, which can mean that is a transmittor and a carrier, so I would always suggest vaccinating.

Hopefully your vet will be good and your Cheeko will come home, and better. Bloods would show up struggling organs I believe. If his tummy is empty, could he have a blockage in his throat or something?

In terms of the vaccs, they can get a milder form of myxi, but its rarely terminal in vaccinated bunnies, but it is rarely survived in unvaccinated bunnies. They is transmitted on flies and fleas, so that's not down to people.

With VHD (which I suspect may be what foxyfaerie is getting at) is a full vaccination. The interesting thing with VHD is that it can stay alive in the environment for many months.

When you bring hay into the house, that can easily have been around wild rabbits, which can mean that is a transmittor and a carrier, so I would always suggest vaccinating.

Hopefully your vet will be good and your Cheeko will come home, and better. Bloods would show up struggling organs I believe. If his tummy is empty, could he have a blockage in his throat or something?

That was pretty much my point, thanks Sky-O :wave: You also need to remember that myxi is usually transferred from flies and fleas than from another bunny.

So Cheeko won't eat anything for himself? I'm wondering if the vet gave him a gut stimulant (metaclopromide) to try and get his guts going and eating again?
I dont know as I'm still learning myself about bunny illnesses but i wonder if anyone knows if it sounds like floppy bunny syndrome?
Was he able to move about himself.
Sorry I'm not being much help, I hope Cheeks can recover x

Yes he could move, he hopped across the room this morning and struggled a bit at one point in the vets, he can move but just isnt resisting being moved if you know what I mean.
Maybe it is bloat, I might try to get a hold of someone at the vets or will they have thought of that? Thing is I know if it is that its prob too late by now. I have infacol in the cupboard as well, if I hadn't have panicked and taken him to vet mayb it would have occurred to me.

That generally occurs in young kits and young rabbits and it generally something they grow out of (its also sometimes called Flopsy and appears to be some sort of vitamin deficiency-we struggled with this with a couple of our buns many years ago). I would be thinking this is something else for Cheeko, but what, I don't know.

update

I called the vet again to make sure they checked he wasn't bloated, he isn't! Also the vet said after he had been syringe fed he had nibbled on some food on his own accord, hoping thats a great sign

hi

Bit late hope buns ok, where was he could he have heat stroke? Larthagic cant be bothered let you do what you want. Wont drink eat not even a sniff. But if force feed water should perk up as vet said that bun perked up after being syringed. Let us know...

Another update

Hi all, thanks for all your advice. Unfortunately its bad news, the vet this morning was able to get bloods and they showed renal failure which the vet thought was a symptom of further organ deterioration. Basically my bunny was put to sleep this afternoon because he was getting old. Rather than keep him going on meds and having him suffer it was the best thing, I had 5 and a half fantastic years with him and he was treated like a prince. I'm sure he's out there somewhere banging his wee grumpy foot and eating something he shouldn't be.

Back