• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding after neutering?

Nicky2708

New Kit
I have a male and female mini lop (Coco and Fudge), they are 11 weeks old. I have been advised by the vet that I can get the female spayed when she is four months and I am keeping an eye on Coco and he will get neutered as soon as he can! Is is correct that when Fudge (Female) returns from her operation that she will need to spend about a week on her own to give her time to recover? If so will they forget one another will they fight when put back together? Also I have the problem of finding somewhere for Fudge to live for a week, they both live in the same hutch so not sure what she will live in. Would it be bad for her to go straight back in with Coco, don't want her to get hurt. It's not really practical for me to have her indoors. Any suggestions?

She should be kept indoors for at least 24hrs after the op, perhaps you could make a temporary home out of cardboard boxes?

Can't really say if they will accept each other again, but you will need to find someone neutral to try reintroducing them.

They also should be separated before the spay and neuter, because boys can 'do the deed' as soon as their balls drop (and for about 2 months after their neuter), and she could get pregnant at a very early age. It's not common, but equally, it's not unheard of. For example, he might be able to make babies right now, and so she might be at risk of pregnancy.

Also, as hormones start to form and boil they might fight, such as if he gets hormonal and she doesn't like it, or she might get territorial and might see him as being in her territory.

She will definitely need to be separated from him after her spay. It's an invasive operation, and there may be complications and she will need time to recover.

You can reintroduce them and hopefully rebond them afterwards. There are loads of different techniques you can use to help you do that.

If You Dont Want Them To Forget About Eachother Then Spilt There Run In Half For They Can Still See Eachother

Then There Probly Be Fine

If you get boy bun done IMMEDIATELY his plums drop he can stay with her, but there isn't much margin for error. A lot of Rescues do this with litters etc, & get female spayed as soon as they can, & boy bun done at approx 12 weeks. But if his plums have dropped & he's not neutered she can get pregnant.

I have got girls successfully spayed & their partners have remained with them throughout the vet visit/recovery & everything. It actually SPEEDS UP a bunny's recovery remaining with her bonded partner after a spay as it is less stressful for them.

The only time I would separate was if partner was humping her constantly.

Whenever my bonded 9 have vets visit, they are accompanied by one other bun

Panic setting in

Oh God panicing now they could be making babies right now:shock: Well at 2.30 this afternoon Coco was unable to make babies I think!But have not checked for balls since then:oops:. Am going to have to try and sort seperate accommodation out for them, GOd this is expensive (but worth it) Would I be able to get Fudge spayed earlier than 4 months?

Oh God panicing now they could be making babies right now:shock: Well at 2.30 this afternoon Coco was unable to make babies I think!But have not checked for balls since then:oops:. Am going to have to try and sort seperate accommodation out for them, GOd this is expensive (but worth it) Would I be able to get Fudge spayed earlier than 4 months?

Not earlier than 4 months & some vets wait til 6. As long as you are correct with your ages, a bun is too young to get pregnant at 11 weeks:D From 12 he may get plums, although it's still unlikely that she will be mature enough.:D

I'm pretty sure on my ages, so can brief a sigh of relief for a short time at least! Poor coco is having an hourly plum check:oops:

I came across someone who had had a 9 week old doe get pregnant, but this is DEFINITELY not the norm. I guess like people, they all mature at slightly different ages.

I'm sorry, I laughed at what Coco is going through though. He's going to love you!

Back