• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Myxi and treatment

Hi guys...

Not been on here in ages but i'm in need of some advice...

I HAD 4 rabbits, Malteaser was PTS on Monday because of Myxi - his partner sassi has the viral myxi so she has a lump on her nose.

Waffles has just started to develop myxi and his partner Pebble shows no signs YET (i'm praying he doesn't)

All were vaccinated in April this year. My vet has put them all on 0.5ml of Duphapen, waffles appears in pain so he's also on metacam. They have bio-lapis in their water. I've sprayed them with insect repellent and i have those mosqiuto plu-in things working as well. They have lots of veggies to tempt them to eat and i'm watching what they are eating. Does this sound like i'm doing everything possible to help with their recovery?

As Pebble is showing no signs, should i seperate him from the others or leave him be? I really dont know what to do for the best...

:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

So sorry to hear about your buns. My french lop caught it last year in spite of being vaccinated. Unfortunately he died after three weeks of treatment. I did not separate my other buns and they did not get it.I felt it would of caused them stress being apart.Good luck with yours, hope they get through this rotten disease. Pam

PM Capel in case she doesn't see these. She has been through nodular myxi twice with one of her bunnies.

I hope your bunnies pull through this. Sending some vibes.

Thanks.

What can i use to clean up their eyes? Any formulas i can make up from stuff in the cupboards?

How much metacam should they be given? My vet has said one drop but i don't think this is enough...???

Pebble is still OK this morning.
Sassi's condition is still the same.
Waffles eyes etc don't look as if they are any more swollen, all are eating well so fingers crossed. :(

Thanks.

What can i use to clean up their eyes? Any formulas i can make up from stuff in the cupboards?

How much metacam should they be given? My vet has said one drop but i don't think this is enough...???

Pebble is still OK this morning.
Sassi's condition is still the same.
Waffles eyes etc don't look as if they are any more swollen, all are eating well so fingers crossed. :(

Just use cooled boiled water for cleaning eyes

Aww sorry to hear this hun Sendin loads a Get Well ****ViBeS**** to ya Bunnys and Hugs for you :wave:

did your vet administer the vaccination correctly (ie 10% in the skin)? that's terrible for so many vaccinated rabbits to come down with it - especially if Malteaser had full-blown Myxi :?
I was given loads of advice when I was nursing Myrtle, so you might want to do a search for her thread...
Good luck with them all - really hope they pull through! :(

:shock: Whats the chance of them getting this when they have been vaccinated?

Im scared now :(

Im sorry to hear about your buns hun. Fingers crossed for them?

The link I gave, re Kareens bunnies in her rescue in Fife, shows that those bunnies were not vaccinated as so young. She managed to successfully save quite of fhem, so it would be worth looking at how she treated. As yours were vaccinated, its definitely worth continuing with treatment.

Im not sure how much Metacam you should give. You could always phone Kareen at her rescue.

Hope you get this sorted poor buns. Raine is right Kareen got babies in with myxi and nursed them back to health, unfortunately some didnt make it. If you speak to Kareen im sure she will give lots of good advice, im sure she hadd them in bathroom with steamy water to to help clear their nose etc. Go to www.fiferabbitrescue.co.uk or you can pm hunnybun as that is kareen. She is a very helpful lady :) and done extrely well with her myxi buns xx

Thanks for all your help.

I've checked on them this morning and they all seem the same. They have another dose of antibios today so hopefully that will do something! x

hi chelsea who was 9 at the time had myxi last year the nodular type if they have been vaccs there is a high chance of survival. they have very up and down days and it will get a lot worse before it gets better so perservere with them all. most important is keep warm, they need antibiotics daily, use tiacil for eyes or warm water, use metacam for pain relief and the biolapis is good, pooor babies.... i beleive its hard to contract it from each other its more likely that the flys that were in the area bit several buns unfortunatly but bunny to bunny i believe its unlikely the last bun would catch it if only the nodular form(think full blown is bunny to bunny tho) pm my mum for more tips on myxi care as she nursed chelsea back to health and it was touch and go some days....her pm address is sdf76 i will pm her and ask her to come on here to see it. chelsea had over 30 50p sized lumps all over her body if breathing is hard do regular steam bathes, keepuing them eating is essential so fresh herbs dandilions and baby f ood or warmed water with a tad apple juice in may be needed.... i would try and keep stress levels to a minimum ie try not to take to vets too often if can be helped as the stress will not help, as iv said keeping warm is essential and it can last many weeks orr months till they are out of the woods, i hope all your bunnys pull through keep going with them and dont give up i didnt realise a vaccs bun could get full blown myxi it is certaintly rare if they can but nodular they definatly can get. ok well good luck if i think of anything else or you have any specific qs pm me or mum xx

Hi,
I know what you are going through. My rabbit Bobby got myxi in March but infortunately he only survived 3 weeks. It was awful. He seemed to be doing so well then went down hill very rapidly. Bobby was on Metacam and something else which i cant think of the name of. Then the vet gave me some drops for his eyes. I bathed his eyes with boiling water at least 4 times a day and was also encouraging him to eat. He was very snuffly as the vet thought he had snuffles as well. Eventually I had to give him a dish to drink out of and all he did was sit in a dark place it was really awful to watch. I was told that most rabbits with mixi die within 14 days but alot of rabbits do survive it. By the time Bobby died he was blind in 1 eye and I was having to syringe feed him as he wanted food but was finding it hard to eat. He was also eating baby food which he loved!!. I didnt seperate him from Flopsey as I thought that would cause even more stress and Flopsey never showed any signs of myxi at all and is still with us. So I wouldnt seperate your bunnies. Fingers crossed they pull through. Sending lots of hugs for you and the bunnies at this difficult time xx

Hi. I've just this minute seen your thread. Floss contracted nodular myxi two years in a row despite being properly vaccinated. My vet advised not to seperate her from Bournville as that would cause extra stress for her. Her put her on two anitbiotics as well as eyedrops for one eye which was badly affected.
She was put on:

0.8ml Baytril
1.0ml Flagyl
Tiacil eye drops twice a day. These weren't so effective the 2nd year so she was switched to Fucithalmic and Ocufen 3x per day and Eyesoft 2x per day.
She also had metacam. I think it was 1 drop twice a day.

During her first bout in 2006 I brought both rabbits indoors as the weather was cooler, but both stayed out in their hutch last year. She always had a good appetite apart from one or two days when she seemed a bit low at the start of the antibiotic course.
She recovered fully apart from some ulceration on her eye. Fortunately only one eye was affected each year...the right eye in 2006, and the other in 2007.
Most vaccinated buns recover well from Nodular myxi..assuming, of course, that the vaccination was properly administered. Fingers crossed for your bunsters. Thinking of you.

Last edited:
I am so sorry to hear you lost one of your buns to myxi , with 2 probably infected.
Are you sure your bun has full-blown myxi not just a case of bad nodular myxi? If she has full-blown myxi then you would need to separate her from the other rabbits as I think they can catch it from one another(as wild rabbits do) but if she has nodular myxi I believe you do not need to separate.
(I have a very rabbit savvy vet and no question the vacs was administered correctly but despite this my bun Chels still got nodular myxi, so they can still get it.)
Unfortunately when there are floods in summertime, mozzies thrive and breed, and because there are so many more of them ,there is more chance of a bun being bitten. Remove any standing water other than their water bowl if they are outside.
Mostly it is advised for buns to be inside in the warm but my vet thought my bun Chelsea would be more likely to graze if allowed out,as she is always outdoors and also be happier. At that point getting her to eat was the priority. So she had measured short times outside for grazing. If she started to look cold or just sat there I would bring her in. Otherwise pick grass,dandelions or anything juicy to tempt them.
I kept a log of what she ate so even on bad days I could see she had eaten something-some days this was just leaves and grass-no pellets at all. Just keep offering them bits from time to time-even if they only have a mouthful of something...the mouthfuls will add up. They will be more likely to eat a short while after the metacam has taken effect. Don't ignore your instincts- ring the vet if you are concerned.

The first 2weeks is the hardest as their health seems to go up an down greatly from day to day but will hopefuly steadily improve after that. The textbook answer is that they recover from nodular myxi in about 6-8weeks but of course this varies from bun to bun - some being quicker and some longer.
Chelsea has scar tissue from some of the nodules in her tear duct right eye so her eye still has to be bathed daily. I use oval eye make-up remover pads soaked in lukewarm water to bathe round the eye,then I dry the fur area gently with flannels (that I bought and cut into quarters to make little bunny towels).
I do hope your buns recover soon.-Sue:wave:
If you pm me it flags in my normal email which I check daily.

ps Chelsea was on Baytril,metacam and fusithalmic eye drop

Last edited:
I am so sorry to hear you lost one of your buns to myxi , with 2 probably infected.
Are you sure your bun has full-blown myxi not just a case of bad nodular myxi? If she has full-blown myxi then you would need to separate her from the other rabbits as I think they can catch it from one another(as wild rabbits do) but if she has nodular myxi I believe you do not need to separate.
(I have a very rabbit savvy vet and no question the vacs was administered correctly but despite this my bun Chels still got nodular myxi, so they can still get it.)
Unfortunately when there are floods in summertime, mozzies thrive and breed, and because there are so many more of them ,there is more chance of a bun being bitten. Remove any standing water other than their water bowl if they are outside.
Mostly it is advised for buns to be inside in the warm but my vet thought my bun Chelsea would be more likely to graze if allowed out,as she is always outdoors and also be happier. At that point getting her to eat was the priority. So she had measured short times outside for grazing. If she started to look cold or just sat there I would bring her in. Otherwise pick grass,dandelions or anything juicy to tempt them.
I kept a log of what she ate so even on bad days I could see she had eaten something-some days this was just leaves and grass-no pellets at all. Just keep offering them bits from time to time-even if they only have a mouthful of something...the mouthfuls will add up. They will be more likely to eat a short while after the metacam has taken effect. Don't ignore your instincts- ring the vet if you are concerned.

The first 2weeks is the hardest as their health seems to go up an down greatly from day to day but will hopefuly steadily improve after that. The textbook answer is that they recover from nodular myxi in about 6-8weeks but of course this varies from bun to bun - some being quicker and some longer.
Chelsea has scar tissue from some of the nodules in her tear duct right eye so her eye still has to be bathed daily. I use oval eye make-up remover pads soaked in lukewarm water to bathe round the eye,then I dry the fur area gently with flannels (that I bought and cut into quarters to make little bunny towels).
I do hope your buns recover soon.-Sue:wave:
If you pm me it flags in my normal email which I check daily.

ps Chelsea was on Baytril,metacam and fusithalmic eye drop

Sassi has def got nodular myxi as she has a lump on her nose, which looks as if it's starting to come off!

Pebble is still as bright as a button

Waffles i'm still not sure about. It's day 3 from suspect myxi when his ears, eyes and privates looked swallon, and he's not changed at all. He does however have 2 almost orange colour small lumps on his bottom lip. I can't feel any other lumps anywhere else, do you know what these are? As we are on day 3 is he likely to stay the same or get worse?

They are all warm, have no breathing problems and all are eating well. Waffles is eating very well. I put him on the kitchen side to give meds and no sooner had i finished he was off and started chomping at carrot tops i had prepared for his afters, lol! I'm hoping thats a good sign!

Mine are on duphapen 0.5mls every other day, drops of metacam, fucithalmic
eye drops twice a day and a sachet of bio-lapis in water bottles every day.

When Bobby had myxi he was still eating very well. But then his mouth got swollen and he was finding eating a problem. Bobby had up and down days and his really bad day was the day before he passed away. It is such a horrible disease for them to get. Fingers crossed that all your bunnys pull through.

When Bobby had myxi he was still eating very well. But then his mouth got swollen and he was finding eating a problem. Bobby had up and down days and his really bad day was the day before he passed away. It is such a horrible disease for them to get. Fingers crossed that all your bunnys pull through.

Thanks

I've just been out to do eye drops and waffles's tummy is rumbling like mad! I thought it was mine to start with! He can't be hungry as his had 5 gratted carrots, cabbage and the carrot tops.

What should i do? Do i need infactol? Cause if i do i threw the bottle out 2 days ago as the sell by date had gone. Is there anything i can do? Please help!!!

Back