• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

rabbits and cats

silver grin

Young Bun
hello all,

me and the mrs are the proud owners of a 3 and a half year old english boy rabbit and he rules the whole house!

he lives in his hutch in the shed (which he adores) and every other day (or every day in the winter) he either comes into the house or is let out into the garden for the day.

we have two pets (the other being a very friendly degu) and wanted to now get a kitten....... but were wondering how best to introduce them to each other. we thought that with a kitten it would get to know the rabbit and get used to his behaviour and personality and if need be then it would leave him alone if he didn't take to it!

has anyone else done this with success or failure?

he really is a very bossy rabbit and several hundred times in his lifetime has grunted at me, scratched me and bit me. we were just wondering if it could be done.

many thanks and hello:wave:

wh ynot get an older cat from a rescue who has a good history with other animals. i would introduce them slowly and never leave them unattended together. it will likely depend on the personality of the cat...my snowy used to sit snuggled up to next doors cat fluffy...much to doras disgust and groom her!!!! but i would go slowly and carefully. get them used to each others smells too remember a young kitten will want to play and may pounce on bun just playing and scare bun.

Yep I see no problem with this :) as long the introductions are managed carefully and well supervised, my cats have always got along fine with my rabbits. Apart from one, she was a naughty torty who was a grumpy little madam, but she was never left alone with any of the buns at any time.

I would be more inclined to go for an older cat too. I'm not a huge fan of kittens though. As the kitty wont have learnt any self control yet it may bother your rabbit with its crazyness. Older cats tend to be a lot more aloof and reserved.

thanks for the replies people :D

Today we went to the local RSPCA centre and have reserved a little girl rabbit that has been neutered so we are not getting a cat/kitten

Thanks for the advice, it is much appreciated

Back