• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bunnies Sneezing for Months

Rachypoo

Young Bun
Hi - sorry this is a lengthy one but I'm getting a little stressed out by it now

My bunny Perdy has been sneezing now for over 3 months!! She was originally with two other bunnies but neither of those started sneezing. I have now moved her with my latest bunny Charlie. For the first two weeks he didn't sneeze but now he has started sneezing. They have been on baytril injections for 2 weeks now and they aren't working!! The vet has said he can't think of much else and to be honest its starting to cost a lot of money!

Does anyone have any advice or has anyone been through the same thing?

Thanks for any help you can give me

Hi,

Go back to the vets and get him to change the anti biotice to Teramycine (SP) Baytril does not work on my bunny which get this every once in a while.

Good luck

Good luck with this, has the vet suggested any allergies? It may be if you hava dusty hay or similar it is affecting him.

Hi Rach, i have had Pepe for a year an half now, but from me caring for him he as always sneezed, but he did get some nasty stuff coming out of his nose with it, the vet said it was snuffles, & they treated him for it & it cleared up, but he as had it twice more, & he shares a wendyhouse with his brother & he never got it.... but after that he sneezes all the time & that last 2 weeks his brother as been sneezing also.
I took them both to the vets & she said not to worry as their noses are nice & clear. I have noticed the last lot of hay i brought had a lot of dust, so i think it was that.
Has anything come from her nose at all, i know you wouldn't be able to miss it as it is horriable.

Hi - thanks everyone for your advice! I have tried changing the litter and have gone from pellets, to sawdust and am now on some type of paper bedding. I shall try changing food and hay and also asking about allergies.

Thanks again - it has been a great help

Hi - can I ask how you found out that your bunny was allergic to her hay? was it just a process of elimination?

I have a piggy who's allergic to everything, even hay sets him off sneezing. I've now covered the hutch in lino and only put litter in a small toilet area. Shreaded paper is good for bedding. My vet advised also advised soaking the hay in water.

Sneezing

Please Help. My baby rabbit, Peter, has been sneezing since i got him. I notice white discharce on his nose so took him to vets where he was given antiboitics. Its been 3 weeks now and 3 different types of antibiotic and he is no better.
Im really worried about him. His playful, jumpy attitude hasnt changed and hes eating and drinking well.
Im just worried as its been 3 different types of antibiotic and he hesnt got any better.
I clean and disinfect his house 3 times a week.

Unsure of what do do next?

Sneezing

Hi - I have had two rabbits sneezing for months now!! I have paid out loads on vets bills and have got nowhere!! We even resorted to me injecting the bunnies twice a day with baytril - that didn't work. To be honest now I am just leaving it because the bunnies become very stressed with the administration of the antibiotics of any form.

They are both very happy - they run like crazy when you let them out - they binky and get up to a lot of mischief to be honest!

After my issues I have found the best way is to leave them to it - the rabbit that has had this for the longest is slowing down on the sneezing from so I'm hoping with time it will stop - I know its not much help because I have been panicing for ages but it seems to be what is working!!

I hope this helps you

ARC took in a group of buns a while back http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=92937&highlight=dutch

They had all been bedded on sawdust with a small amount of hay in a lock up garage :shock: all of them came out with what looked liked snuffles, some were started on antibiotic treatment which failed to work. Some were not. Most of them went to foster homes which did not use sawdust / wood shavings and the majority of these improved over the next couple of months whether they were treated with a course of antibiotics or not. A few went to foster homes where they remained to be bedded on wood shavings, the majority of these did not improve until they were removed from wood shavings. It took quite a number of weeks after being off the shavings.

For this reason I would never recommend using wood shavings with small animals

Personally I would cover the floor in lino, provide a litter tray with a small amount of paper based litter (carefresh, shredded paper, newspaper) which is topped with hay. An provide a large hanging type hay rack for them which would mean that the majority of the dust will be removed when filling it.

Please Help. My baby rabbit, Peter, has been sneezing since i got him. I notice white discharce on his nose so took him to vets where he was given antiboitics. Its been 3 weeks now and 3 different types of antibiotic and he is no better.
Im really worried about him. His playful, jumpy attitude hasnt changed and hes eating and drinking well.
Im just worried as its been 3 different types of antibiotic and he hesnt got any better.
I clean and disinfect his house 3 times a week.

Unsure of what do do next?

Scroll back to Page 1 of this thread, my bun has the same problem, it's been more than 6 mth. The key here are:

1) Since the bun is eating and drinking normally, then the rabbit is healthy

2) Rabbit like human can have allergy. I have allergy myself, I live here for 2.5 decades, I got allergy after 5 or 6 yr. since I move to Canada. It can 30 deg C outside, and I sneeze non-stop, and there are days, summer or winter, that I have to blow my nose all day. Now eventhough there are discharge on my kleenex, I'm perfectly healthy.

In the case of my bun, I just clean the discharge off his nose. I think in part is the new bale of hay in the house. But it's clearly allergy.

Look at it this way, set aside the discharge and the sneezing, is your bun healthy? If the answer is yes then don't worry about it.

I also spent hundreds of dollars on vet bill on the above problem, and turns out it's total waste of money and 3 different ABX stress out my bun.

My bunny keeps sneezing too! He has sneezing attacks, but there are no other signs of ill health at all. Hes been sneezing for ages. I am going to change his bedding to shredded newspaper now as suggested.

I figure out a few things:

1) Bernie does more sneezing when he shed his fur
2) When i didn't vacuum the floor in the mid of the month, i.e., I am forced to do vacuum once a mth.
3) Could be some dust w/i the hay

I don't use wood bedding. But any1 of you use it, get rid of it. It's not good for your lung and your bunny's lung.

Scroll back to Page 1 of this thread, my bun has the same problem, it's been more than 6 mth. The key here are:

1) Since the bun is eating and drinking normally, then the rabbit is healthy

2) Rabbit like human can have allergy. I have allergy myself, I live here for 2.5 decades, I got allergy after 5 or 6 yr. since I move to Canada. It can 30 deg C outside, and I sneeze non-stop, and there are days, summer or winter, that I have to blow my nose all day. Now eventhough there are discharge on my kleenex, I'm perfectly healthy.

In the case of my bun, I just clean the discharge off his nose. I think in part is the new bale of hay in the house. But it's clearly allergy.

Look at it this way, set aside the discharge and the sneezing, is your bun healthy? If the answer is yes then don't worry about it.

I also spent hundreds of dollars on vet bill on the above problem, and turns out it's total waste of money and 3 different ABX stress out my bun.

ok firstly if a bun is sneezing that does mean there is a problem if its an allergy then the source needs fixing two just because a rabbit is eating and drinking does NOT mean it is healthy. rabbits are prey animals and will often hide symptoms of illness and continue to eat and drink usually stopping to eat is because of a high amount of pain but i have known rabbits who are deperatly ill and dying to still eat it depends on what is wrong.

personally i would remove anything dusty put fresh grass instead of hay but introduce it slowly so you dont upset the buns gut adn put paper shredded bedding on newspaper adn carefresh or megazorb on the litter trays to rule out allergys. if this helps then try reintroducing a dust free hay in a rack or in a pot of some kind(thus containing the hay) if this is ok continue if the allergy comes back resort to grass however if using fresh grass ensure it is alwasy fresh and never fermenting and is changed regualrly keeping a good supply available
also if there is a nasal discharge then a culture could be taken by the vet to see which antibiotic would work if it is snufffles differnet antibiotics will work with different buns.
also has vet listened to lungs? are they clear?

Back