• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

'Third' Eyelid appeared

rebeccaemms

Warren Scout
Hi Everyone

I know there have been a couple of posts about this recently and it appears I'm now in the same situation.

Last week my bunny Benjamin was admitted to vets hospital as he has sludge in his bladder and was urinating down his legs. Vets inserted a catheter and cleared him out under GA and he seems to have responded well and isn't weeing on himself or 'leaking' anymore - yay!

However as he was at the hospital for over a week now he's home again he does seem a little subdued which we assume is maybe him getting over the catheter incident and the GA and also he prob doesn't trust us like he used to since we shipped him off there.

Since he came back he has developed what seems to be a 'third eyelid' as I know these have been previously described. It's not massive - see pic below if it comes out but it's there on both sides and is something he has never had before. It doesn't seem to cause him discomfort and doesn't 'rub' out of his eyes - it does seem to be a thin piece of skin.

I have spent £400 at the vets over the last week so I don't want to rush him back there and start panicking if it's nothing and perfectly normal and something he has just 'developed' but I was just wondering if anyone could shed any light on it?

Thanks

Rebecca

Picture034.jpg

That looks totally fine to me....my kermit has exactly the same, and he actually looks very like your bunny too :)

Oh that is good news - thanks for the reply. I didn't want to panic but it is weird that it's only just developed! Any ideas why it might come all of a sudden?

Thanks

Rebecca

I dont know if its just an age thing.....not sure, but i think kermit never had his showing until he was about 4 months old.

One of my buns has eyes like this too. The extra eyelid doesn't show all the time. She's also the most stressy of the group so maybe there's a link there (given that your rabbit has just been stressed) although it could be coincidence. I'm certain it's nothing to worry about, though. :)

that eyelid is perfectly normal. Sometimes when they are stress, the 3rd eyelid shows up, say for e.g., a very heat weather.

No he is not a giant - he is about 6lbs in weight so pretty medium sized and he is 5 years old but I've never seen it in any of my buns before. Perhaps it is stress related - he does seem to be settling back in a little now but the eyelid is still there. As long as it's nothing to worry about I'm happy!

Back