• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Advice - panicked rabbit

Kermit

Wise Old Thumper
Hi guys,

Looking for some advice.

I made kermit an indoor run area, so he could be in it through the day, my grandpa usually comes to let him out in the living room through the day, but he had a bad stroke on saturday and is in the hospital, so he cant come up.
So instead of kermit being in the cage all day, i made a large indoor run......so i just put him in it and he rolled about 20 times, then started really heavy breathing like he has a blocked nose.....he has head tilt, so thats why he would roll.....but im looking for advice on the breathing, should i go to the vets?

Thanks in advance

Kirsty

aww poor thing just googled that what ya said hun its says get pet in a carrier an get straight to a vet could be pneumonia hope hes ok xx

What is the rabbit doing now can he stand?
how long has he been rolling?
how long has he head the head tilt is it froma middleear infection and is he on any treatment for it at the moment?

What is the rabbit doing now can he stand?
how long has he been rolling?
how long has he head the head tilt is it froma middleear infection and is he on any treatment for it at the moment?
He can stand yes. He had EC but it's gone now. He's been fine for weeks - it's just since we moved him to the new surroundings the severe grunting has been happening. We've ditched the new run and have him back in the other room. He's moving about but still snorting like hell.

grunting or snorting?
sometimes rabbits roll to sent new areas could the grunting be growling.
If you have never heard a rabbit growl before it can be quite scary.
is there any nasal or eye discharge and how would you rate his breathing deep or shallow look at his gums and tellme what colour they are ie pink, red, grey, blue.

Thanks for the advice guys....i called the vets and she said to monitor his heart rate, it was super fast!

She said that i might stress him out by taking him up to the vets, so to keep an eye on him and see if he calms down.....that was about 30 mins ago.

He seems to have calmed down alot, i was really freaked out by it all. He is just lying down now, no heavy breathing or nasal noises, so i think he must just have been really frightened.

The wee guy doesnt even realise that i was just trying to make life better for him with a new big indoor run!

Last edited:
Back