• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

what to expect?

Catherine896

Young Bun
What am I to expect when I let me 2 rabbits meet? They are both female, one is 3/4 years old the other is a baby.

The 3/4 year old one, Stix, has had a friend before up until last year so its not like she isnt/hasnt been used to company.

I let them next to eachother last night and the baby was following Stix, Stix was rubbing her chin over her and ignoring her but then started rubbing her chin over her quite alot and started to chase her when she went to walk off so I stopped her and put Stix away.

They are next to eachother in indoor hutches so can see and smell eachother all the time. Stix has her hutch open daily for her to come out, is this still OK to do? Shall I open the babys hutch aswell or leave her in for a couple days? When I let her out shall I let her out alone or with Stix out aswell?

Thanks.

I just tried bonding my two girls that are 5months and 6months and it was all going well till last week and petal attacked ted and i had her to take to the vets to get a 2" gash stitched up so i'd say leave it till their nutered, thats what i'll be doing.

well they don't have to be but from the experience i've had and the advice i got yeah it's best, having said that my nanny has a mother and daughter and their fine, chase each other but thats it, but then their related. books recommend male/female partners which was what i thought i had till ted turned out to be a girl. the problem is their starting to sexually mature and are teenagers too. so my girlies are going to get the snip. sounds awful but theres alot of health benefits too.

I think the figure is 85% of female rabbits contract uterine cancer if unspayed so the health benefits are very high. I have had does as young as three go for their spays and the vet has found cancer in them. It also helps prevent phantom pregnancies and the hormonal behaviour does often show. Trying to introduce two un-neutered does is in my book a recipe for disaster; girls can live together happily but I'd recommend you got them both neutered first, gave them a couple of months for their hormones to settle and then tried introducing them.

Do females have to be neutered? I was under the impression they didnt and it was just the boys had to be?

Thanks.

it is much more important for a female to be neutered. 85% of females get uterine cancer and die... it is a horrible death to. i lost one many years back to it so it does happen. also if not neutered they will often fight at a later date when hormones kick in or suddendly get territorial and turn on each other rabbits who have already fought are much harder to bond . please get them done x

Ok, well Ill have a look into it with my vets.

How old do they have to be?

Thanks alot.

around 6 months tho some vets will do before this age.... its 85% of females age 3 and over that get uterine cancer.... remeber a healthy happy bun can live to 14years!!!

Just rang my vet, they said 5/6 months aswell and that a 3/4 year old is fine.
But they wont do any payment plans so Ill have to either save, or pay it off to them and when paid in full have them done.

Will see if any other vets do payment plans so then I can have Stix done now and wait until the baby is older to have her done.

Thanks alot everyone :)

Just rang my vet, they said 5/6 months aswell and that a 3/4 year old is fine.
But they wont do any payment plans so Ill have to either save, or pay it off to them and when paid in full have them done.

Will see if any other vets do payment plans so then I can have Stix done now and wait until the baby is older to have her done.

Thanks alot everyone :)

some vets are cheaper than others..i know mum payed 00 for a female spey and doras was only 53 pounds so it does depend obviously the vet needs to be rabbit savvy but if you say which area maybe someone can reccomend a rabbit savvy one near you who is cheaper?to help?

Im in Bristol. I rang Zetland Road vets, they said about £78 each.

Just tried ringing a few others but they are all closed!

Thanks for helping me!

Im in Bristol. I rang Zetland Road vets, they said about £78 each.

Just tried ringing a few others but they are all closed!

Thanks for helping me!

hey its all good. i think you should put a thing in rabbit chat saying good vet needed in bristol..as a title then put something like... hi want ot get my buns speyed but my vets are charging £78 each i have 2 buns to be done but i cant afford this right now and will need to save, that is fine but if there is a good rabbit vet locally who charges less that would be even better!!!!

Back