• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Max is at the vets getting his abscess seen too today

Bun Bun

Warren Scout
Following from this thread: http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=138879&page=2

I dropped Max off this morning and they are going to pierce the abscess and get all the gunk out and give it a good flush out, they are also going to do cultures on the bacteria to see what it is. The abscess hasn't got any bigger or smaller and is just in a capsule sort of floating in his leg.
We have been waiting weeks for all this to clear up so we can do blood tests to confirm whether or not he has kidney problems and if so how bad it is, but we have been unable too as he has been on antiobiotics since.
Since he hasn't had any antibiotics for a week and as he will most likely be back on them after today I also asked them to do the blood test today so we can at least get that out of the way and see what s going on with him.

I am not worried about him being at the vets, we are used to it and so is he. He just lays in the carrier fast asleep now :lol:

I thought he would be home by now. I dropped him off at 9am. Didn't think it would take 3 hours?? They aren't using anesthetic?

Hi Nicola,I really hope the vets get to the bottom of this and Max has come through his GA ok.Please keep us posted.

They weren't going to put him under GA. Because he is so calm and relaxed at the vets they said they will be able to do it without.

While typing the vet called, they have got all the gunk out and flushed it clean and have put some antibiotic powder inside the hole. They have sent a swab off to the lab to see what bacteria it is before we start him on more antibiotics. They took the blood to check his kidney problems too.
I will be given some pro-biotic to help sort out his gut and the clear mucus he is pooing. I can collect him at 1pm :D

His back now and seems fine, he was sprawled out legs wide in the car on the way home. they have given me some pro-biotic for his tum but it's one you add to water as opposed to squirting in his mouth, would have prefered one I can squirt but oh well.

He seems to be using his leg already which he wasn't doing before so hopefully getting the gunk out has relieved some of the pressure :D

I'm glad to hear its all gone OK. I may need to get Hazel in for an abscess removal soon if his bite wounds dont improve, and was wondering how serious the op was. Reading your post was quite comforting although I cant see Hazel being relaxed enough to not have a GA.

The vet called today with the results to his blood test. He is all clear and has no kidney problems :D Not sure what caused the blood in the wee, maybe it was an infection and the antibiotics he was on for the abscess has cleared it?? Who knows but he is fine now, well apart from the abscess. Need to wait abit longer to see what bacteria we are dealing with.

Glad he is doing well. The pro-biotic you add water too are fine as they usually love the taste.

Yes he seems fine today. I had a squeeze of his abscess and nothing came out. It has been stitched at the vets but that is a good sign if no gunk is coming out.

Well 2nd day and still no more gunk. I think the outside of the capsule is still there as there is a small lump still, but he does have 2-3 stitches in it toon and he seems to be using the leg more?

Back