• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

New bunny

gill shirlaw

Warren Scout
Hi there,

I have just got my new wee rescue bun Misty she is 9 weeks old and a wee cutie. I have two mixed pairs already living between a shed and playhouse with a large run inbetween that i want to bond after i come back hols end july. I also have a lone bun benji who is and has been a house rabbit since getting him in october so i got a wee friend for him to bond with and hopefully bond all of them together at some point but after my new bun has been neutered. My question is she is outside in a very large hutch and is quite tiny and i feel she is a bit timid getting used to everything ect my worry is will she be okay out there on her own and obviously with us being with her during the day alot as she isnt used to being on her own and worried sheel be lonely or should i have got a friend for her at same time to keep her happy until i bond her with rest as i was told i could have her sister too so she wouldnt be on her own but i reckoned 7 buns was too many to keep but if bonding all worked out eventually my set up is huge and they would all be more than happy with all the space and if it didnt work out i still have plenty of space to seperate i am just worried about my wee girl out there alone in the dark.

Any advice would be appreciated.

thanks
gill:wave:

I was like that with mopsey even though she lived in the house and had our attention all day I thought it best to get her a friend and its the best thing I ever did as they love eachother so so much.

Hiya harpo and kelly-joy

thanks for your replies guys no she cant see my other rabbits from her hutch its a huge garden and theyre at one end and shes at the other but i guess she might smell them!!

I am def thinking about getting her a friend but shes only nine weeks old i wasnt sure whether to get another rescue baby girl to try and bond with her or wait until shes old enuf to neuter and was going to try and bond her with my year old lone buck benji ie it would be a long wait till shes could be with benji and i though if i got another girl shortly i could try and bond two young girls before hormones kick in and get them neutered together any ideas guys would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

mopsey bunny was only 8 weeks old when I had her. I bonded her with Flopsey at 10 weeks old and they still love eachother.Flopsey is now 18 weeks old and mopsey is 16 weeks old.Flopsey has just been spade on monday too. Mopsey is to little at the mo to spade but she will be hopefully next month.fingers crossed that they will stay loved up. I think they will as they still love eachother very much even after Flopsey spay. hope that helps you abit to make up your mind weather or not to get her a little friend.

Kelli-joy thanks so much for that post it helps alot was flopsy a doe or buck? as was not sure whether to get doe or buck if i bonded her as obviousley i would have to seperate them if buck.

Did you seperate them until flopsy was done or was flopsy a doe and you didnt need to. How did you bond them when they were 8 and 10 weeks did you have to use neutral territory and you would have had mopsey first or did you just put them together and they were fine.

As i know people say if you have the doe first she is harder to bond with a buck as the doe tendds to be more territorial i have only ever had bucks first and does coming into their territory and thats been okay.

Thanks for advice though much appreciated.

Hi Flopsey is a doe so makes it much easier.
My first try with bonding with Mopsey didn't work as the other rabbits bite mopsey ear quite badly so those 2 baby rabbits went back to the rescue.I heard from alady that had french lop babies up the road from me so went to see them. We were in the ladys kitchen me with a bowl of water and her with a washing basket just incase a fight broke out. I tell you I wasn't hopeful as flopsey was huge compared to mopsey but I knew I had to try so I took a deep breath and put her on the floor both of them ignored eachother at first and and then came over to see it eachother and sat side by side and then mopsey trying so hard to be loved risked her ear being bitten again just like she did to one of the other baby rabbits at the rescue she nugged her her head under flopsey chin and flopsey washed her and they have been in love ever since.

new bunny

Hi kelli-joy thanks so much for replying again very helpful i was wondering about the bonding too but you seem to have done it on neutral ground so that must have helped once you had come back from the ladys house did you put them straight into mopsys hutch or was it a new neutral one and if so were they fine from then on.

thanks again

thanks for that ill bear it in mind and make sure i have a new cage or hutch never used if i bond them.

Have you ever bonded a 9 week bun with a year old bun be it a small one as i have a wee lone buck who is a year old living in the house who i was going to bond after my hols with my two mixed pairs i have could i bond him with her after shes neutered or before he was neutered at least three months ago.

thanks anyone that can help

Back