• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Help! My bunnies are fighting

Lambchop

New Kit
Until recently I had 4 bunnies: Oscar & Russell (a girl), 4 year old dwarf bunnies, and Fuzziwug & Muffet, 1 year old girl giants. They have been sharing a large enclosure for about 10 months. Russell has always had a tendancy to be a bit aggressive (except with Oscar)and at first chased the bigger ones. It all worked out fine and last autumn we got all the girls spayed.
Sadly we lost poor little Oscar to Mr Fox a few weeks ago. :cry:Then suddenly at the weekend Russell started fighting with Muffet. It looks like Russell is instigating it but instead of running away as she would have done before, Muffet is turning on her and inflicting really nasty wounds. We have had to separate them and I think they have been biting noses through the fence!:(

I need some advice as I really want them all to live together again in their lovely playhouse and their teletubbie land!

hi.. in my experience giant bunnies never seem to get on with other breeds of rabbit.sometimes you can be lucky but not normally.
is everyone spayed and neutered? this could be alot of the problem...
girls are usually the boss in rabbit groups and especially with your group changing its structure due to the loss of one of them,this could be whats incited the problem.
i would separate the now unbonded bun from the giants,and start looking for a friend for the little one .get them bonded together( please use a rescue as they wil advise you on which rabbit will be best for your bun and will also help you with the bonding),then gradually reintroduce the giants to them on mutual territory.it will take alot of time, and may not work, is there some way they could take turns being out? or you might have to get another run for the little ones.
good luck!
kellie

I imagine that with the lose of one of the group they've felt the need to rework out the heirachy and it sounds like there has been some arguments over it.

My first question would be the same as Kelli - is everyone neutered. That cuts down on the hormones which helps.

Now they are separated you'll need to do any meetings on neutral territory. YOu might need fine mesh or boards over the divider to keep noses safe in the meantime.

Thanks for all that
Yes, they are all spayed. I would love to have another rescue bunnie but I wasn't sure if that would just make things worse! I think Russell was top buuny for so long (even chases the cats) and perhaps now Muffet is fully grown she's not having it.

I agree with Tamsin. They are probably sorting out the group hierachy. If things don't settle I would go 'back to basics' neutral territory etc.

I have similar problem but so far there is no luck. When Goofball was alive, Minnie hopped upstair and stay in the other room, but she never came to Goofball's room (my big TV/computer room). At the time, we thought Bernie is sick, so Bernie is stuck in his own small room.

When Goofball passed away, Bernie takes up 2nd fl., and Minnie stay downstair like she always does. Upstairs and downstairs are always gated. But Minnie wants to re-claim some of her territory on 2nd fl. So in 2 occasions, when Minnie manage to slip thru the gate, they have a furious fight.

So far, my own trick is to take them outside in the backyard. And at the 2nd last time, there were good progress, Bernie wants her, but Minnie only sort of wants Bernie. So they were mingling at the backyard w/ small progress.

Unfortunately, just a day or 2 after that, was the 1st time that Minnie manage to slip thru that gate, so that was their 1st fight.

Then the next day, I took them outside again, and they continue that "left-over" fight. Since then, I haven't that them outside and make sure the gate is closed.

The other day, Minnie manage to slip thru the gate the 2nd time and they have a small fight.

What do I go from here?

Back