• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Wild Rabbit With Myximitosis!!! Help

ribbons

Mama Doe
Hi folks...

Just got home to find a wild rabbit hopping about very slow, its eyes are all closed up & muccus in them.:cry:

Poor wee thing.... This is the 2nd wild rabbit Ive found & I hate having to see them suffering.

Last time I took it down to the vet to be put to sleep so I assume thats the best thing to do...

Just worried about handling as I have three buns & a 3 week old baby bun.

Any advice

I think I'd have to put it out of its misery, I lost two buns to this and it was the most heartwrenching thing I've ever experienced. Be careful to wash your clothes before handling your own buns incase there is cross contamination. Are your own buns vaccinated? If not I'd seriously consider it.

I would take it to the Vet ASAP, poor little thing :(

I would then steralise any containers you use and put the clothes you were wearing straight in the washing machine then take a shower yourself :?

This is a difficult one as you have a 3 week old baby bun that is unable to be vaccinated yet. certainly have him vaccinated when he reaches 6 weeks and ensure your other are vaccinated too as there is obviously a lot of it in your area! Myxi is transmitted via direct bunny contact and biting insects such as fleas and mosquitoes. A wild bunny would almost certainly have fleas so you need to be aware of this. Is there anyone else you could ask to handle the wild bun and take it to the vet? That would be your best option. If not, and you want to take the risk, then do as others have advised and wash your clothes and yourself before handling your bunnies. And dont take the wild bun anywhere near anything that your bunnies are near, as much as possible.

This is a difficult one as you have a 3 week old baby bun that is unable to be vaccinated yet. certainly have him vaccinated when he reaches 6 weeks and ensure your other are vaccinated too as there is obviously a lot of it in your area!

i thought that assuming the doe has been vacinated and the kit is still feeding that the mothers immunity will be transfered through the milk?:?

I think I'd have to put it out of its misery, I lost two buns to this and it was the most heartwrenching thing I've ever experienced. Be careful to wash your clothes before handling your own buns incase there is cross contamination. Are your own buns vaccinated? If not I'd seriously consider it.

Hi there.

That is awful for you, it must of been devastating!:cry:
I know what I am like with a wild bunny never mind one of my own!
Thankfully my vet was there to see one of the ponies so they handled it & put it to sleep.

This is a difficult one as you have a 3 week old baby bun that is unable to be vaccinated yet. certainly have him vaccinated when he reaches 6 weeks and ensure your other are vaccinated too as there is obviously a lot of it in your area! Myxi is transmitted via direct bunny contact and biting insects such as fleas and mosquitoes. A wild bunny would almost certainly have fleas so you need to be aware of this. Is there anyone else you could ask to handle the wild bun and take it to the vet? That would be your best option. If not, and you want to take the risk, then do as others have advised and wash your clothes and yourself before handling your bunnies. And dont take the wild bun anywhere near anything that your bunnies are near, as much as possible.

At no time did I handle it I just sat a box over it whilst I waited for the vet.
I washed my hands & changed my clothes before seeing to my other rabbits.
I have not handled my bunnies yet just put their hay in to them.
Should I be safe from contaminating?
My two boys are vaccinated but the mum isnt.
All my bunnies are indoors & I will be getting mum & baby vaccinated.

Thanks for the advice!

its awful when you find bunnies in that state i remember last year my spotted a wild bunny on the roadside, i noticed as cars where going by it didnt even flintch, later that day i saw it was still there and there was also 6 others around the roundabout in the same way, then i knew something was deffinalty wrong, i pulled over then and rung the rspca, turns out they found quite a few like it,

:wave: when i see them at side of road etc i pick them up and put them in the boot of my car and take them to the vets so they can be put out of their misery. it is a slow and horrible death and the rabbits must be so scared as they can't see etc so i defo say pop them in a box or towel or something and take them to the nearest vet who will put them to sleep for free.

please be warned that the wild buns may be carrying fleas that will transfer the mxyi..
my friend lost two of their rabbits to this awful disease when her daughter brought home a wild bun with it..although they quickly took the suffering bun away and washed and changed all her clothes..AND she had not been anywhere near the pet rabbits..they still went down with it:D

its awful when you find bunnies in that state i remember last year my spotted a wild bunny on the roadside, i noticed as cars where going by it didnt even flintch, later that day i saw it was still there and there was also 6 others around the roundabout in the same way, then i knew something was deffinalty wrong, i pulled over then and rung the rspca, turns out they found quite a few like it,

Thats awful!!! It is hard enough just finding one but to find 6 +:shock:
I hate it cos it breaks my heart when I see any animal in distress.:cry:
Do they do anything to help wild rabbits & combat the disease???

please be warned that the wild buns may be carrying fleas that will transfer the mxyi..
my friend lost two of their rabbits to this awful disease when her daughter brought home a wild bun with it..although they quickly took the suffering bun away and washed and changed all her clothes..AND she had not been anywhere near the pet rabbits..they still went down with it:D

Now that is scary...
I didnt touch the rabbit at all, I just placed a box on top of it & the vet dealt with it cos I just didnt want to risk my precious buns.
Especially my baby who is just 6 weeks old!
My alsation was sniffing about the rabbit, will he be okay??

the dog will be fine, but he could of caught some fleas of bun, id deflea him asap, and keep him away from ur buns too if poss....also de flea ur house if ur buns r house buns, remove buns first tho in case house spray is dangerous for them.

Vaccinated rabbits can still get myxi , though its usually nodular myxi which has a better prognosis.
Nodular myxi in my rabbit started with a slightly weepy eye, then next day a tiny pimple near her nose. Unfortunately I was bathing the eye for a few days as I thought it was nothing much - maybe conjunctivitus so sent a photo to my daughter (as its her bun) saying shall I take to vet? Luckily she immediately suspected myxi and we got treatment and now recovered.
Check your buns daily for any sign of weepy eye or tiny nodules near the face or ears.
It may be that having been vaccinated and in remote proximity this will strengthen their immunity. I also thought that any creature breast-feeding had immunity conferred by the mother so would be immune.
I hope all goes well- do be extra vigilant.-Suex

Back