• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Abcess??? Advice pleeeeeease!!!

lisa12lisa

Young Bun
I've just been down to see my bunnies, and Willow had what i thought was a bit of food stuck to her chin but on closer inspection it is dried puss, i bathed it with salt water and the top of the scab came off and some pussy stuff came out- it was pure white though not yellow like puss, i bathed it some more and when it was all clean there is a hole in her skin about half a centimeter accross, it is right on her jaw bone. I am assuming its an abcess, and I will obviously take her to the vets tomorrow, but I have never had anything like this on a bun before, any help would be gratefully received

Hopefully you've caught it early, and it can be sorted out.
My Bobby has an abcess on his chin, but sadly it has gone into the bone. He manages very nicely though, and we have managed it quite well.
The vet should be able to pack the abcess with antibiotics, and tell you how best to treat it.

My Wilson ended up with 3 abscesses on his body from bite wounds. I also found them at the weekend when the vet was closed so had to wait until Monday to take him in. I looked up on the internet what to do to treat them - one of things that I tried that worked for Wilson is honey!

I discussed this with my vet & we agreed that he should have regular antibiotic injections (can't remember how many he had in total), as well as giving him baytril on the days he didn't have injections & metacam. My vet them told me to bathe them in salt water twice a day & then syringe honey into them. The best honey to use is Manuka Honey - the more active properties in it the better. I got ours from Holland & Barratt healthstore & it was £16.99 for a small jar - I think it 25 in terms of how active it is (this was the highest I could get). It helps to heal the would from the inside out. After two weeks the abscesses had completely healed up. It might be worth discussing this option with your vet. Hope this helps & let me know how you go on. xx

Back