• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

dwarf lop doe post spaying not good..advice please

purplebumble

Warren Veteran
well mums lickle hunnybuny got spayed yesterday...it was not a good day...and to top it all poor wee thing wasnt really doing well but they wouldntlet her go till shed eaten or drunk but she was borderline keep in and rob said to let her go home......i think he was right as she became more relaxed in her own suroundings. but she wouldnt eat or drink and was obviously in a lot of pain and couldnt get comfy..
had i forgotton what it was like to watch your bun recover from this..i must have cos i was the one trying to allay my mums fears and i was inside panicking! i even rang the vets emergency number to check if shed had painkillers etc and what i was to do next..when all along i knew..recovery mix..syringe feed and syringe water...etc....but i did really lose it!
i went home and returned with nursey debbies bunny recovery kit including syringes and baby fod rabbit recovery sachets etc..:lol:
she was very out of it by half nine last night...i was syringing water got a good 10ml down her..some recovery but she let it dribble most of the time..i also had to check her owund as shed started licking it..its dissovlable stitches thankfully....and it was a bit bloodstained and dark pinkof course...the nurse said shes probably cleaning the weepy stuff up..at the time id been debating putting a tubigrip on her to stop her but airs the best and a tubigrip for a large human thigh is still too tight for ehr in my opinion.
Luckily i had some metaclopramide syrup from sue left...i gave her 0.4ml and by the time i left last night at almost 11.30pm shed done some wierd poos and softish ones...
this morning shes done some weird and wonderful shaoed ones..some weeny ones and some normal ones before i left after seeing to her.
shes had her baytril..her water which she r efused...and 1ml of baby food...and aparently one small spinach leaf.
her eyes are opening a but more and she fought us so hard she jumped off the setee and onto the floor before we caught her..she was picked up as fast and she made a dash across the settee twice after that! and spat ehr second lot of water out too.
mum says shes not drinking or eating but somethings gotta be going on for ehr to poop right?
i wished they did it like they did at the old vets years ago.theyd send a doe home with a smallpot of rabbit recovery or critical care and a some metacam and prepulsid syrup...reduces stasis risk so much..but then they didnt do internal stitches etc so its swings and roundabouts...id rather have the work done by rabbit savy vet.
shes fighting all attempts at syringe feeding and i dont want to push it but she hasnt touched her herbs..greens..grass...or pellets...if shes no better by tonite in eating its down to the vets..its only been just 24hrs since she was done..should i give her another dose of metaclop today?

I certainly would not force feed her. Take her back tonight, let her rest too its important to rest after the operation. Good Luck

Sorry to hear about your bunners :( fingers crossed she'll start eating. Hopefully someone more bunnysavvy will see this as I don't know much about speys x

Sorry if I've missed this in your message, but has she had Metacam in the last 24 hours?

thank you..no she hasnt had metacam in the last 24hrs.

she improved rapidly during the afternoon evening but if shes not a whole lot better tomorrow morning then back to the vets we go.

My mum has her as a companion as my dad died 2yrs ago and her family has broken up badly and she was fleing very isolated..

she is cursing me saying she feels awful for having this done etcand i kepe saying no her getting cancer of the ovaries uterus and being bunny from hell and smelling so bad and being destrictive via her litter tray etc....would all be ok then.
Its because my mumthought she was dead at 4.30amand range me...

this afternoon mum gave her two spinach leaves and she ate them.

i went over to give her the second dose od baytril today and she fought me tooth and nail.....her owunds lovley and clean shes cleaning it lovley. her eyes were open a lot more and shed been cleaning her eyes face n feet.
mum said shed been running in and out her tray but she didnt do any wees.

well i gave her her meds..noted there were many more dark poos and a few odd brown hard ones..and after shed sat in her tray i was sure i could smell wee..but not hormonal doe wee for once..i put my hand and a bit of kitchen towel in to remove a lot of the poos and found the tray had a lovley big damp patch..shed been weeing hurrah..even tho mum hasnt seen ehr drink at all..but shes had a frozen water bottle in the cage as its hot..so maybe she licked the condensation off.
i did try however to giver her some water..she refused and lunged at me:shock:

as i was leaving she strarted eating some hay..only a small amount but she was def interested.

mum rang me bout 10pm to say shed eaten some of her rabbit pellets too.

fingers crossed!!

im just so lucky i had some metaclopramide syrup in the house...got her tum moving right away....

obviously she reacted strongly to the anasthetic and its a major surgery after all even if its classed as routine so no wonder shes had a tough old time.

willow did to but she is a frenchie and the anaesthetic used has to be way more and takes way longer to leave the sytem....looking at all 14lb of her now its hard to remember just how weak wobbly and feeble she was for a few days..give willow her due tho..food always comes first:lol::lol:

hopefully hunnybunny will pick up...i am so worried if anything happens to her now..itd kill mymum:(

but seeing as shes making an effort to restart her bunnylife again..im hoping shes almost out of the woods..and oh.yes neat baytril tomoro i used orange squash to flavour it and it made lamost twice the maount harder to syringe..much longer time taken..so sorry bunny neat euky meds from now on!

but im taking over a nice mixed veggie platter for hunnybunny in the morning..if i dont get mugged by two frenchies whilst im trying tp give my 4 buns theirs:lol:

keep fingers crossed for her and my mum whos 78!:love:

thank you....

i took over a nicve salad for her of spring greens romaine letuce and carrot batons..i had enough for two small helpings for two days being waery of her tum. my mum forgot and gave her it all and she ate it all....better that that not eat i told her..it wasnt a massive amount but the small heap you give in case of runny bum.
mum says shes hunched up again..thats cos painkillers worn off i guess it being third day..lucky i have some metacam.

mums relaxing a bit now...and misses her running around sleeping on her feet and cuddling up on the settee and dashing round making my mum cry with laughter:lol:

fingers crossed for another day!

Back