• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

elderley lady wants aviary for bun

purplebumble

Warren Veteran
i have my mum whos 78 and shes had her bun since beginning of march..the little buns off to be spayed tuesday.
my mums in a dilemma..because of the fall outside the hopsital when my dad was dying has caused a severe shpoulder injury and her arthritis is hell now thanks to it in her shoulder and thunbs and wrist where she fell shes not as agile as she was....
hunnybunny has made her less lonely and more importanlty laugh again.....
her neighbours al have preadatory cats..theyve even been trying to jump in the lounge windows whilst shes say palying with hunnybunny on the carpet!
shes mortified..she wants to let her out in a run in the garden but is afaraid of the cats......id have to go put her in her run and back indoors each night..but its whilst mums out in the garden with her.

i suggested that maybe an aviary woyuld be better as mum could go sit in it with her theyd both get fresh air and a little sun......rather than a pen.

mums said yes but she reallyhas no concept of whats a bargain etc:roll:

i have looked online for panels..ebay included..and im at a loss....how do i get the bits and postage for under a £100?

the nearest i could get to a hundred pounds was £129!!

please advise you fols whove done this and bear in mind pre drilled etc is best..i cant do that side of things...and obviously neither can me mum!

ive treid convincing her to come across to our garden once the fence is done and ill get a fold away pen for hunny bunny..bif n bandit will be in another one..the frenchies wil be free roaming or sleeping as they call it in the gras and our two cats are buns in cats bodies and salem and hunnybunny are already friends or rather she sees him as not hreat..she sat and laughed at him i swear:oops:
but mum thinks it would be too much that many buns in one area and hunnybunny might become the object of bifs and willows anger even if they cant get to her:(

so back to mums garden.....i told her to get a sonic cat alarm and a good sized run with a lid but shes scared the cats will sit on the top whilst shes going to the ladies room quickly and hunnybunny will die of fright.
at the momnet shes a 6 month old dwarf lop so fairly small..its alright i said..ill lend you willow..thatll scare them cats and confuse em:lol::lol:

seriously tho would an aviary be the best idea do you think?

http://www.riversideaviaries.co.uk/aviaries.htm
its the blue one near the bottom.

i love the one on happy hutch site but the prices:(

An aviary would be better than a run she would have to climb inside, the chances of falls stepping into something is greater than with an aviary.

Whilst an aviary is more expensive however you need to weigh this up and offset it against the 'social cost' to you if your mum had another fall in a run. To me the aviary will come out top and it would be worth you considering funding an excess to help yourself in the long run.

A 3 foot tall run where she can walk into is another thought, however you then have the issue of safety as it is not totally protected.

I had an approx 8ft by 9ft aviary made for me and he put it up for £150 if I remember rightly. Is the nobody on advetising on ebay near you that make aviaries and can put it up for you at the same time ? Try contacting local shed people, capenters perhaps ? Hope all goes well and you find someone :)

:( ive tried ebay..no luck.....will have to trawl through yellow pages carpenters again....

sadly my moneys too tight to buy her one but i could fund a third..but shes someone who has no comprehension of the cost of living these days as al the years her n my dad were togehter and married.he did all the finances etc etc..he was aware of how much things cost..he disagreed for me paying out for stuff because i wasnt able to do them myself but he understod..whereas my mum was horrified when i found a decent carpenter to level off 3 doors to have landing carpet fitted....and charged me £6 a door..thats £18..bargain..the react team at the council said id had one job done in one year so id have to pay..his going rate which was £68 an hour!...

sigh..yes im all too well aware of he state of health plus now shes developed cataracts and i am too useless and warpepped up with my own helath problems and being carer 24/7 for my 23 yr old daughter to be able to do what she needs doing..ie the garden being dug over deeply...the weeds being burnt off with the weed whacker gas gun.....her ironing...her windows the nets etc etc etc.........all i can do is the odd job..her bunny clearing...the odd meal....etc..im known as the one who doesnt do anything for her..but i do....and i get the most flack..not a single other of her ids wil come near or do anything..they are all too busy..yet they have cars perfect health etc...grrr

ok i digress......if i tell her the price shell want to opt for a cheaper option.....she always knows when im lying too so if i get it and ask her for a sum towards it shell know....she always does..i always do it....even tho i cant afford to..shes having to pay for hunnybunnys spey herself tho cos ive had to pay for a new house for bif n bandit.....

maybe i should delete this..please delete thread admin..thank you

Hi Honeybunny :wave:

This guy did our aviary, he delivers anywhere in the UK. The panels are fitted together with cable ties - it is really easy to assemble (I also think he can put it together for you if you ask him on ordering). He does any size you want, if you email him, he will quote a price and delivery date.:)

Sounds like you've got a lot to handle - hope you get things sorted ok.

Carmen

If an aviary is to expensive then what about a normal run with a gate in.

Is she usually inside? If so then a puppy pen (pick one with an opening gate) would be perfect to go in around front of the door and both your mum and the bunny could walk out into it. With it over the door I imagine your mum could probably let the bunny back in herself too - or the bunny would hop back in.

If you do buy panels then you could make it cheaper by using the house wall as one side of the aviary. If you are only using it as supervised exercise that should be secure enough. If she has enough door to access the garden you could put it over the patio doors again so she and the rabbit can step out into it and you don't need to go and catch the rabbit and put it back in.

hya thank you..shes an indoor bun but mum wanted something she wouldnt have to get down onthe ground too..ie the octagonalpens with little doors.
She said she still wants it so she can move it aorund..or rather i can move it around:lol: to keep her bu in shade sun etc etc change better patch of grass.

which oen do you mean tamsin?

ooh thank you..usually they have those weeny low down doors.

its weird youd think more maufatcurers might realsie its actually hard work getting down to a tiny door or having to keep udoing a panle or jump over it to get in.....and thats for me never mid me poor old mum:lol:

:lol: yep, I don't think many of the designers actually own pets - they never seem to think of the practical aspects!

If you look at ones for dogs there are a few with a similar design - I guess because dogs need bigger doors. The rabbit ones all tend to be little.

mmm i found one with a door but it was all at the bottom but it meant weeny buns owuldnt need a ramp to jump out! on mazon uk..meow mania sel them but no good for mum...as it can be stepped through..but great for my shortlegged babies!:lol::lol:

we need to bring the designers up to speed methinks..:lol:

Back