• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Swollen after op

Jazzy B Bunny

Wise Old Thumper
Eclipse was castrated yesterday, now the area is swollen.. he is still eating and drinking/running around. the same thing happend to Jazz and Gizmo when they got done and they were given antiobiotics, Eclipse however is very hard to handle. hes due to go for a post op check first thing on friday.. do you think it will be ok to leave it until then.. is swelling normal?

Some swelling is normal but if it's very inflammed as well then it can be a sign of infection or in some rabbits a reaction to the sutures.

Apache was neutered today and he is quite swollen now.

It looks quite swollen but from what I can see ( made him stand up to get some grass, as he hates being handled) doesnt look red, which is how Jazz and gizmo looked.. do you think it will be ok to wait until friday?

Buster the same!

Buster was castrated yesterday and he is also very swollen, I presume this is normal to a degree, I'm just monitoring him if its worse I will call my vet!

I would think so, if there is any redness or discharge then take him in sooner. You can clean the wound with saline each day to sterilise it if you think it's necessary.

Some vets give a Baytril injection at the time of the op. anyway, it should state this on your receipt.

Took him back to the vets this morning and he has 2 more injections and I have been given oral baytril to give him twice a day..

Any tips on getting his baytril into him? he struggles like mad and the rest of my family ar scared of bunnies so wont help restrain him :?

Back