• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Help Please - Walty not eating - UPDATE - 1 Poop!

BeckyLH

Banned
Hi everyone,

I'm after some advice if poss. In the last couple of hours Walter has gone really off colour, he's sitting in the corner of the cage looking sleepy and disinterested and won't touch his pellets except a couple. This isn't like him at all and I'm worried. I gave them some carrot earlier and they both ate some but since Walt doesn't look too great.

I have some metacam from when Lene had her op, do you think he might be in pain? He is normally so active. I've given him some carrot, and the hay is infront of him :(

Any advice would be great. Thanks. x x

Last edited:
Will he eat anything, has he pooped?

Try to encourage him to eat and move round as it can help to get guts moving. Also try to get some extra fluids down him, try a bowl topped of water with a bit of boiling water to make it luke warm.

If he is not any better within the next hour I would take him to the vet or if you have already tried the above take him to vet straight away.

Hope he is feeling better soon.

My Angel was exactly the same this morning she wouldn,t eat a thing.I chased her around the hut to get her gut moving,luckily it worked and she started to eat within the hour.
Hope Walty starts to eat soon.

I agree with bunny babe, if you can't get him to eat in the next hour, he will need a vet.

If you have any Infacol (baby gripe medicine, you can get it in most supermarkets) you could try a couple of droppers full of that. If not, just try warm water and his favourite foods. Running around(the rabbit, not just you) will also help.

Lots of vibes

FC xx

He was pooping fine up to about an hour ago. I'm going to try the chasing thing. I have some metacam, would you give him some? I'm really worried, he's the healthy one of the pair! lol

Vet said to give him some metacam and try and encourage him to eat. Also said use a syringe to give him water which I have done. Not sure how good this advice was. I'm following all your advice too in the meantime.

one of my girls has done this twice this week :roll: chase him about and make him run up and down first, then see if he'll eat dandelions - usually irrestistable. Leave him an hour to 'brew' after his run about session, then if no change syringe him 1ml of infacol, and 10ml of water warmed from the kettle, plus if you have metacam that's great - I use half an asprin dissolved in 100ml of water, warmed with a splash from the kettle. Leave an hour then repeat, offering dandelions and greens etc. in between. So far *touch wood* that treatment has got my bunnies through 4 attacks of stasis - the one I took to the vet for more aggressive treatment died of a ruptured gut, so I'm not keen on metaclopromide and force feeding as a result of that.

If it happens a lot then you might need to have his back teeth checked - usually if they'll eat soaked pellets but not normal ones, this indicates teeth are the problem.

Vet said to give him some metacam and try and encourage him to eat. Also said use a syringe to give him water which I have done. Not sure how good this advice was. I'm following all your advice too in the meantime.

Good advice.

Only other thing I would do is get some Infacol in, Tesco sell it. Give 1ml per hour with 10mls of warm water followed by some tummy rubs.

Dont force feed him but do offer him inticing food to help himself to.

If he gets any worse call the vet again.

Yes. It will help restore the good gut flora and add some much needed fiber to his diet.

Has Walter had any dental problems?

He hasn't had any in the past. His teeth were checked fairly recently and they were fine but I'll get them to check.

Just got him some dandelion leaves and he's eating them :D I'm going to go to Asda and get some infacol although it will be about an hour and a half before he gets it as I have to travel a bit at this time. Do you think he will be ok?

:(

Just got him some dandelion leaves and he's eating them :D I'm going to go to Asda and get some infacol although it will be about an hour and a half before he gets it as I have to travel a bit at this time. Do you think he will be ok?

:(

The fact he is eating is a good sign, based on your description of his tummy I would'nt be suprised if he had a little gas.

Keep up the Infacol and warm water until he starts to poo again.

Chris has gone to Asda so I can keep an eye on him :) Really hope he'll be ok :(

UPDATE - we have 1 poop! :)

Last edited:
Been to vets this morning, she said she could feel what appears to be a blockage in his intestine, not completely blocked but squidgy. She gave him an injection and I've got some maxalon syrup, she also suggested pineapple juice migh help but I'm assuming I shouldn't give him this because of the advice given to others with the high sugar content etc. Should I continue with the infacol in the mean time?

Last edited:
Back