• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

litter training for a novice

englishgirlie

Warren Scout
Ok, I have searched on here for my answer before i had to post as im sure you are all alot better at answering my question and knowing more than i do

So Blossom is 12 weeks old, In here hutch she has a litter tray and a bed, Now she wees in the litter tray.But also in here bed where her hay is, Reading some of the posts would it help train her if i put the hay in her litter tray and left her bed free off anything.?

Her poo is all over the hutch but im not so concerned about that it the weeing in her bed that concerns me.

She is out of her hutch and with us i would say 8/9 hours a day. She will drop a few poos about but not wee.

Hope some one can advice me..Im so sorry if i have repeated a question already but i have had a good look and no one seems to of posted this kind of question.

Hi :wave:

I would say to pu tthe hay in the litter tray. She should love munching on it so will spend some time in the tray. When she grows older she should learn to wee only in the tray.

It took Hugo about 1.5 years until he got the hay in a different location than his tray and he can cope with it. :)

Try and make her stay in the tray as enjoyable as possible :)

Lots of rabbits will naturally poo/wee where they eat so if the hay is in the bed then she'll wee/poo there. As suggested, put the hay in the litter tray (or in a rack near it) so she'll eat there and hopefully wee/poo there too.

I only ever put hay in the tray - I keep the floors bare even in my hutches in winter, but I don't use litter trays I use very large underbed storage boxes, and add to the hay twice a day rather than clearing it out, so it gets very cosy as the week goes on, and they can toilet at the back of it without getting the fresh eating hay dirty, as that's put at the front of the box - also give them 2 boxes as they like to keep one for a bed :)

P1010154.jpg

I don't know about others but we only use woodshavings in the tray and nice hay for him to eat.

I wonder if there is a difference between bedding hay and eating hay :roll: Or just that one smells nicer than the other ...

Maybe she is confused with hay and bedding. Have no idea :roll:

I don't know about others but we only use woodshavings in the tray and nice hay for him to eat.

I wonder if there is a difference between bedding hay and eating hay :roll: Or just that one smells nicer than the other ...

Maybe she is confused with hay and bedding. Have no idea :roll:

I don't give mine any bedding hay - the hay in the bed is stuff that's left over from the eating hay - I give them a bundle of that twice a day and they enjoy picking through it since foraging is their natural behaviour (the piggies are kept the same way) - they kind of dig it back as they go, then go over it all again - it's a great 'toy' for them so worth spending money on :)

there does tend to be a lot of smaller bits of hay at the bottom of the box - I use this as bedding if it's cold and I've just cleaned them out, but they eat it all anyway :)

We found our bunnies always weed in the box from 7 weeks but as they got a few weeks older , Leo pooed everywhere he went. We went out and got much larger litter boxes, put clean hay twice a day in one corner and ....whalaaa.......no more random poos in the cage or playroom.

Back