• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Help My baby rabbit

lightning

Young Bun
:wave: I have a baby rabbit who is around 10 weeks old we have brought him in house as usual this morning and he is going mad kicking his back legs biting and scratching my son while he is trying to pet him. He used to live in with a guinea pig until last week when he first did this so i bought a new cage and seperated them and bought a new guinea pig is it possible he could be lonely :cry:. I have been looking at getting luke and lulu but woud a spayed female be better to keep him company.

I am not actually sure what your question is :?

Who are Luke and Lulu :?

Janex

Wondered if he was doing this because he is on his own now.He came straight to us with his brother which my sister in law has and was put in with guinea pig now he is on his own which he is not used too.

Luke & lulu are on rehoming page bunnymadhouse has them was considering adopting them and leaving lightning on his own but now wonder if i would be better getting a female (spayed) to live with him instead :)

:wave: I have a baby rabbit who is around 10 weeks old we have brought him in house as usual this morning and he is going mad kicking his back legs biting and scratching my son while he is trying to pet him. He used to live in with a guinea pig until last week when he first did this so i bought a new cage and seperated them and bought a new guinea pig is it possible he could be lonely :cry:. I have been looking at getting luke and lulu but woud a spayed female be better to keep him company.

When you say he's kicking his back legs, is your son holding him in the air?

If so, most rabbit don't like being held, it's instinct because they are prey animals. When they have to be held for any reason there back legs must be supported at all times. Their legs are very strong, it's possible that they can kick so hard they can break something :(

Most bunnies will be happy to sit on the floor next to you to be stroked, you can encourage them with a healthy treat or a few pellets. One of mine was very shy to begin with, but he will now happily sit on my lap and walk all over me when I'm lying down :) He is still not keen on being handled and I only do it when absolutely necessary :)

A spayed partner would probably be the best friend for him and could make him more relaxed. Neutering will help him too if he isn't already :)

When you say he's kicking his back legs, is your son holding him in the air?

If so, most rabbit don't like being held, it's instinct because they are prey animals. When they have to be held for any reason there back legs must be supported at all times. Their legs are very strong, it's possible that they can kick so hard they can break something :(

Most bunnies will be happy to sit on the floor next to you to be stroked, you can encourage them with a healthy treat or a few pellets. One of mine was very shy to begin with, but he will now happily sit on my lap and walk all over me when I'm lying down :) He is still not keen on being handled and I only do it when absolutely necessary :)

A spayed partner would probably be the best friend for him and could make him more relaxed. Neutering will help him too if he isn't already :)

No he is laid on my son as always he has always been quite happy to do this until now. He usually sits on his knee for ages watching tv :D
Is he not 2 young to be neutred

hi...

He can be neutered at 14 weeks if his testicles have dropped. Pleased you split him up from the guinea pig as they should not live together.

I think it might be a good idea to get in touch with a local rescue and see if they have any spayed females in who might be a potential friend for him. It might be best that you wait until he has been neutered first though. Rabbits are sociable creatures and should live in pairs if possible. :wave:

hi...

He can be neutered at 14 weeks if his testicles have dropped. Pleased you split him up from the guinea pig as they should not live together.

I think it might be a good idea to get in touch with a local rescue and see if they have any spayed females in who might be a potential friend for him. It might be best that you wait until he has been neutered first though. Rabbits are sociable creatures and should live in pairs if possible. :wave:

I have been in touch with barc but they have none in at min. Just been back out to him and he just nuzzled into my neck and cuddled up dont know what to make of him he has let my son hold him as well and was fine this time. I have just had to sit at side of cage to get him to eat some broccollli every time i moved he stopped and he came to front of cage looking at me :D.Really dont know what to do :cry:

Well i think someone has given me another rabbit in night. He is currently trying to eat my leather suite and sitting on my shoulder licking my ear :D. Just persivered with him yesterday kept giving him cuddles and he is back to normal today. Also gave him an old teddy of mine in his cage and he seems to like thi Is he ok to have this in cage its just someething i have done before when 1 has been a bit lonely and it has worked.Still going to get him a friend though so if anyone knows of a neutred female near sheffield that would like a home let me know :D

Back