• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

poor bunny not eating

bramblewillow

Warren Scout
just had to pay £90 just to see a vet as one of our bunnies wasnt eating prev had back teeth problems. Vet couldnt find anything wrong with him so gave him a gut motion injection and antibitoic injection and some food to mix up and syringe feed him. Cost £110 in total. he is just laying out on grass cant get comfy so keeps getting up then laying back down.

he is pooing ok.

was lethargic yesterday but easily tempted with grass, banana chips, strawberry plant leaves and carrot - today nothing.

he has been drinking yesteday not sure today havent seen him at bottle but generally he doesnt drink alot.

any ideas?!?

thanks have also tried that he justs turns his head away from any food

thought about getting jar of veg baby food organic stuff which is natural and syringe feeding him that.

Can you get him to run around? It seems cruel when all they want to do is lie down but it helps the gut get moving again. The gut stimulant should kick in soon and you should here some gurgling noises from his tummy.

Will he take water from a syringe?

Do you have any Science Recovery or Critical Care that you can syringe him?

Organic blackberry baby food mixed with mushy pellets is a very temping treat and also fresh Basil worked to get Bobbin eating when he had stasis.

thanks yes got some science recovery that i am just going to give him and will get some blackberry baby food from sainsburys in a mo.

why do they get ill on a weekend!!! bloody vets know people will pay when they love their pets.

thanks, for get well vibes

vet says he was giving an antibiotic injection and on bill it says analegsia not quite sure which one it is.

tried to syringe feed him the science recovery and he hates it, sent hubby to sainsburys for some organic baby food to feed to him.

he is just laying in the shade under table in garden, runs round if we try to give him any food.

may take him to our own vets tommorow if he is no better as this emergency vet didnt check his back teeth til I asked 3 times, was a pdsa centre and took ages for hime to find a scope to put in bunnys mouth - my bunny hates anything in his mouth.

Have given him abowl of water and crushed some ice in it so its nice and cool, not showing any interest but at least its there if he wants it.

Oh gawd, we have to use the PDSA center in an emergency....is yours run by VetsNow by any chance?

i think so sooz, its the emergency vet service for our area, covers 6 different vets on weekends and evenings, they were very nice but not as good as normal vets.

shame not a sunday as our normal vet has 12-12.30pm on a sunday as open clinic for non surgical emergencies but not on a bank hol!!

Oh gawd, we have to use the PDSA center in an emergency....is yours run by VetsNow by any chance?

VetsNow are ripoff merchants :evil: My mum had to drive to me last night (50 miles) to see my vet, because her one only does the VetsNow service out of hours - and they quoted her £350 to have her dog PTS :censored:
She was so upset anyway, and the dog was so ill, it was the last thing she needed. I'd never use them!!
My vet won't use them either, they are one of the only ones in the area that won't though. :roll:

Sorry to hijack - rant over :oops:

well he has had 10mls of apple and banana hipp organic baby food and 5ml of carrot and potato hipp organic and 5mls of water, not overly impressed with it but ate it.

going to give him some more in an hr and maybe some infacol as well.

just a thought but I had a bun that wouldn't eat through having some dental work done and his weight declined dramatically so I syringe fed him cereal based baby food for a bit that got his strength and appetite back ready for his normal food, hope all goes well xx Daisy Duke and Harry Bear send love and wishes and hope bun gets better soon xX

he is hopping around in the lounge at the moment, not quite so lethargic s cant pick him up very easily at the mo to syringe feed him, he ate 3 baldes of grass but still not tempted with any treats.

still not drinking and not had a poo all day that we have seen anyway.

just sits there looking very sorry for himself.

just a thought but I had a bun that wouldn't eat through having some dental work done and his weight declined dramatically so I syringe fed him cereal based baby food for a bit that got his strength and appetite back ready for his normal food, hope all goes well xx Daisy Duke and Harry Bear send love and wishes and hope bun gets better soon xX

how strange that my poorly bunny is called bramble and his brother is called willow like your previuos bunnies!!

he has just had another 10ml of apple and banana and 5mls of water. wont have anything else thinks about eating carrot then turns away.

is hopping round garden at mo

think will have to go to our normal vets tommorow

pro biotic

If my babys stop eating i usually syringe actermel or something like it to get the bacteria back into the gut...
Hate vets just dont have a clue when it comes to bunnys .....:wave:

It should be a crime for vets who know little about rabbits to charge you £90 - I'm really fed up hearing stories like this :? What they need when their gut slows down is fluids and painkillers - gut motility and force feeding is dangerous unless the vet has first checked for an obstruction.

when one of mine goes like this I syringe 1ml of infacol, then 10ml of water warmed from the kettle, leave an hour to soak into the gut contents then syringe another 10ml of water, and so on - usually some dandelions are irresistable after a couple of hours of this fluid treatment.

hope your bunny will be OK - sounds like he's got some energy and interest in things still, so keep up with hourly water and hopefully he'll be fine by tomorrow :)

If they don't normally drink much they can get a bit of a slow gut when moulting, as the hair mixes in with slow-moving food and gets too big and dried out to pass through quick enough - then they get gas etc. this is stasis. You can encourage them to drink more normally by putting water in a dish and warming it slightly with a splash from the kettle. I also give my bunnies a bromelain tablet every other day when moulting. these contain the pineapple enzyme which helps keep their gut contents moist - 40mg chewable from holland and barrett :)

VetsNow are ripoff merchants :evil: My mum had to drive to me last night (50 miles) to see my vet, because her one only does the VetsNow service out of hours - and they quoted her £350 to have her dog PTS :censored:
She was so upset anyway, and the dog was so ill, it was the last thing she needed. I'd never use them!!
My vet won't use them either, they are one of the only ones in the area that won't though. :roll:

Sorry to hijack - rant over :oops:

Yes half the vets in Sheffield use them and they are at the complete other side of the cito to me.....and I dont drive. Thankfully I now use a et that does her own out of hours service plus my other vet has Saturday & Sunday surgeries too.

I have heard some awful horror stories, and not just about rabbits either. There was a huge outcry a couple of months ago with people transfereing to vets who dont use VetsNow.

thanks for all replies

he is nibbling on some grass this morning but thats all.

my husband is staying off work with him to see how he is and will take to our own vets this afternoon about 4pm.

gave some infacol last night about 2.5mls he did not like it at all!!!

Back