• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Soft poops in the morning

Deanna

Warren Scout
Hi there, im just wondering if this is normal, my 12 week bun seems to have a lot of soft poo in the morning resembling either sausages or a terry chocolate orange bar :lol: I was wondering if I am feeding too much rabbit food at night im just a bit worried about cutting it down as he is still growing, can they get the nutrients they need from hay as he does love his hay as well, his poops are normally golden colour from the mid morning onwards? I feed him twice a day with about a quarter of a normal rabbit sized bowl full, he also loves supa forage which I put in one of those hanging metal balls for him could this be too rich ??? Any advice would greatly be appreciated :)

Super forage can be fed ad lib but it is a bit richer than hay so you have to cut down on the pellets insted. He should be having about 2 egg cupfuls of high fibre rabbit pellets (excel or science selective adult pellets) a day. If he isn't on them already start off by cutting down his pellets till his poos are sorted out, then gradually swap him over by increasing the amount of new pellets by 10% each day. Once you've swapped him over you can start introducing small amounts of veg, one per week, starting off with very small 50p sized pieces.

Thanks for replying, both my buns, Daisy Duke and Harry Bear are both on Rabbit Royale as this is what Harry was on when I got him from the breeder, Daisy was originally on Science selective but I had problems with soft poos with her so I tried her on Rabbit Royale and she likes it and has started eating more hay which I can only think is a good thing for her as I don't have to clean her at all now however Im not keen on feeding a muesili mix so am thinking of trying Burgess excell but does it really matter as long as they are getting really good hay and lots of it?? Sorry to be going on a bit but my first rabbit (Brambles) was fed on Bunny Brunch and it took me 4 years to get him off that and he ended up with only 3 teeth when he died due to his diet not that that was the reason he died mind you he was quite happy eating soaked food! So I really want to do what is best for them.

The trouble with feeding mix to multiple bunnies is you might find that one bunny is picking out the bits they like and so they aren't getting the full balance. I've used it before on fussy foster bunnys but as they have been solo it is quite easy to work out what they are eating.

If you had squishy poos with SS you could try excel diet or oxbow T which can be bought online (more expensive). The most important thing to do when switching them over its to do it very gradually and of course to keep the amount of pellets you do actually give them to a minimum. My three (which weigh 5.5 kg between them) get two egg cupful of pellets a day and a small cereal bowl full of veg.

Back