• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Plucking ****

CottonMather

Warren Veteran
of the blue variety... plucking the dog hair that I pegged up for them to line their nests :D

2008_0420bluetit0001.jpg

2008_0419bluetit0039.jpg

2008_0419bluetit0034.jpg

Benson (dog) does have his uses after all :rolleyes:

aww i love watching birds collecting fur for their nests.theres a bloke down the road from me n he always grooms his dog so the birds can have the fluff.only trouble is he doesnt peg it down.dont yawn when the wind blows!:lol:

I had some fab mangers on the wall one year, they started to go bald round the tops, the house sparrows were plucking them :lol: made me laugh!

What a great idea! how great is it to think that those little birds are building a nest with your dog hair in it! :wave:

I was alarmed by the thread title :shock: but thats really cute! great photos too.

there is a flock of all kinds of thigns in my garden at the moment, picking up alll the hay i drop :oops:

Awww bless, but I'm too scared to do that any more, as I had a terrible experience the year before last.

We have a tit box outside out upstairs bathroom window and every year, a pair of blue **** nest in it. 2006, the babies left the nest as usual and I was sunbathing in the garden and watching the babies in the trees, mid afternoon I looked up at the box and to my horror there was one baby hanging out of the hole by its leg!!! :shock:. I ran up to the bathroom and opened the window but it was going to need a ladder, or me climb out the window!!!

I'm absolutely terrified of heights but knew time was running out as the little bird had been hanging in the boiling, mid day sun! I plucked up the courage to climb out of the window (crying with fear), shimmied across the ledge (hystrical) they suddenly had a horrible thought of falling and being found dead on the floor with a bikini on!!:lol:

I tried to free the bird but its leg was really tangled so I had to shove it back into the tiny hole, and then struggle to get the box off the wall, whilst holding onto the window frame and trying not to fall off the ledge.... I felt sick with fear and was in a right state but somehow managed to do it.

Well, it turned out the birds leg was completly tangled in twisted dog hair, cat hair and MY hair, spun round so tightly it was like string, attached to the nest the bottom. It must have been like if for a long time, but only caused a problem when he tried to fly. A couple of toes hadnt developed properly, but his leg was ok so I cut of the bulk of hair, put him in a box and took him to the vet (after putting some clothes on :lol:).

The good news is, he surived though my nerves were shot to pieces!

Last edited:
what a great idea!!! all that excess bunny hair I have let roam free across the lawn over the years.

they are very sweet (and the title made me giggle. of course :roll: :lol:)

I'm too scared to do that any more, as I had a terrible experience the year before last.

We have a tit box outside out upstairs bathroom window and every year, a pair of blue **** nest in it. 2006, the babies left the nest as usual and I was sunbathing in the garden and watching the babies in the trees, mid afternoon I looked up at the box and to my horror there was one baby hanging out of the hole by its leg!!! :shock:. I ran up to the bathroom and opened the window but it was going to need a ladder, or me climb out the window!!!

I'm absolutely terrified of heights but knew time was running out as the little bird had been hanging in the boiling, mid day sun! I plucked up the courage to climb out of the window (crying with fear), shimmied across the ledge (hystrical) they suddenly had a horrible thought of falling and being found dead on the floor with a bikini on!!:lol:

I tried to free the bird but its leg was really tangled so I had to shove it back into the tiny hole, and then struggle to get the box off the wall, whilst holding onto the window frame and trying not to fall off the ledge.... I felt sick with fear and was in a right state but somehow managed to do it.

Well, it turned out the birds leg was completly tangled in twisted dog hair, cat hair and MY hair, spun round so tightly it was like string, attached to the nest the bottom. It must have been like if for a long time, but only caused a problem when he tried to fly. A couple of toes hadnt developed properly, but his leg was ok so I cut of the bulk of hair, put him in a box and took him to the vet (after putting some clothes on :lol:).

OMG :shock:

Awww bless, but I'm too scared to do that any more, as I had a terrible experience the year before last.

poor baby! :shock:
Benson's hair is quite short... he just has a lot of it! I could see them getting tangled in my hair though! :shock:

poor baby! :shock:
Benson's hair is quite short... he just has a lot of it! I could see them getting tangled in my hair though! :shock:

My dogs have really short hair but that added with mine (which I hadnt been leaving for them honest, I just moult a lot and it gets EVERYWHERE) made it like twine, there was also a lot of soft moss and beetles shells in it! It was interesting to see inside the box though, but I dont ever want to go through that again.... but the little 'titlet' was really cute up close! :)

Back