• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

WANTED: Excess rabbit caecals

Bramblespack

Warren Scout
We've recently aquired three wild baby rabbits whose nest (and companions) got destroyed on a building site. They are about 8-9 days old we think, and we're trying to hand rear them. Since the mother would normally provide them with caecals we are trying to get them some caecals to help give them a better chance, but all of our bunnies are holding on to theirs tightly. Does anyone have any healthy rabbits that leaves nice juicy caecals lying around that they can spare for us (and send us) over the next week or two?

Claire

Well -I could send the odd one or two but rabbits don't usually want them when they're stale- they are generally eaten straight away when they are still warm from production.
Sometimes our (female)rabbit leaves one -but not every day- and usually its when she has been disturbed like I if a cat went past- then she won't go back to it. Would they not go stale and hard in the post? I could pop it in a plastic food bag then seal and wrap the bag in bubblewrap. Can you post things like that? lol!!

pm me with your address and I'll send what I can. It won't be many but maybe if we all send one now and again it will be enoough to help the babies.-Sue:wave:

I know it's not the best plan but could you temporarily overfeed your buns? Give them extra pellets and veg to make them need less of their caecals for a few days?

How would they get there, by post?
:?

Ive never heard of caecal collections. I sometimes find them hidden beneath hay.

I beleive one of the things prohibited by postal regulations is "filth". :lol::lol: Ive never been quite sure what they mean by that though! good luck with your buns...I have no spare caecals I'm afraid :(

Can you insert probiotic powder into their milk formula instead? This in essence contains the same bacteria as the ceacal pellets although none of the 'bad' bacteria.

Back