• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

process seeming to go worse! Can 10 wo male be this aggressive?!

Cremeegg

New Kit
Hi Everyone,

I hope you're all well. I like to lurk here a lot and read people's threads but until now have never posted. However, I really think I need a little bit of advice as I've read SO much information over the last couple of days that I am almost too confused now and getting rather upset with how the binding process is going for us here. This is lengthy but I want to be as accurate as possible :):)

I have had house rabbits before, 2 sets of pairs (separate times) that I managed to successfully bond on my own. One pair were love at first sight, the other had one scuffle and then got on with it. Great!

A number of years later, now, these rabbits are no longer with me and so I decided after I moved into a big enough house that I would like to get them again as they are such great animals. At the time, my boyfriend only agreed to 1 and so I purchased Chunky 8 months ago when she was 3 months old. I had her spayed and she has been a lovely little bunny. At first she was quite timid but she is getting much more bolshy as she knows us and her home so I would not describe her at all as timid now.

A few weeks ago I convinced mY boyfriend that getting chunky a friend was the right thing to do, and after showing him research he agreed.

So, we chose Rusty a week ago. He is a male, 10 weeks old and not yet neutered. He had 2 sisters he was living with that we're bought as a pair. They were always together when we visited Rusty and he was always sitting separate from them inside the run, like he wasn't part of their gang.

He's very sociable, lets us pick him up ( which Chunky isn't keen on), and loves to explore..... He seems very friendly actually, although I know full well that isn't a predictor for bunny bonding, I guess I just got a shock!

Anyway, to cut a long story short, it isn't going particularly well so I thought if I summarise what I have done so far, perhaps some of you out there will see my issue? I'm sure I must be doing something wrong, but it is starting to upset me and I'm really scared that once of them is going to get hurt....I've only been binding them for 4 days now so I know it can take longer, but my concern is we don't seem to be making any progress.

Upon bringing Rusty home: I housed the rabbits in the living room in cages directly next to each other. They can see each other and are approximately 1 inch apart. They loom at each other and also stretch out and sleep, seeming fairly relaxed knowing the other is there. Each night I switch their cages so they are sleeping in the others litter box. This also hasn't caused distress.

I have let them out separately too hang out in the living room so they are exercising enough, never together. Is this ok?

Day 1
I took them up to the bathroom. Neither have been in here.
I took a litter box with hay and they ate in there together, lay down side by side for a bit and seemed OK. They did not groom each other or really acknowledge each other but they did lie down.
They then had an explore around the bathroom together, again all good.
Then, they got back into the litter box, and Chunky got on top of Rusty and started to hump him. I did expect this as she's been with us longer. Rusty let it happen. I took them back downstairs to their cages after she stopped.

Later that day, I took them back to the bathroom for a separate session where they very quickly had a scuffle with each trying to bite the others rear end and doing some circling.
I took them downstairs and put them away and stopped for the day.

* I have read articles that say if they fight to immediately put them away, and I've read others where it says keep going..... I don't know whether I did the right thing really.

Day 2
We have a hallway downstairs that's carpeted and again neither have been there and so I chose to change to this space as its still neutral and has less things for them to hide behind - well, nothing. I brought the litter tray with them.
They ate a little bit and then began to explore. Very quickly I noticed a change. Chunky, who had seemed like she was going to try and take the dominant route, was being heavily resisted by Rusty. She would out her head down, he wouldn't do anything but then he would lunge at her with his tail up. She would scuttle off, and then 60 seconds later he would put his tail back up and head for her. He was making a kind of honking noise, and he was often biting at her bum. Chunky would retaliate and they would circle and scuffle - I made a lot of noise and stopped them. I separated them and returned them to their cage.

Exactly the same thing happen later that day, almost them having a stand off for dominance but Rusty CLEARLY entering with an aggressive stance and noises.

Day 3
Yesterday, we did some research and someone said not to take a littler box with them as perhaps they're trying to claim it ( half of the scuffles yesterday started in the box).
I piled just some food and hay in the room and put them both in their.
They ate and each lay down in the space together - not near each other but within eye shot. I thought this was good. Rusty also groomed himself.
However low and behold, 20 minutes later Rusty attacked Chunky harder - as in noise wasn't stopping his attempts and she was really fighting back. Again he started it, he seems to go looking for it with her - head down, tail up, honking and then an immediate bite somewhere on her back or bum. For the following 40 minutes he tried twice more but did stop when I banged the radiator. He was also pooing all over the neutral territory which makes me think he is trying to take the upperhand.

Day 4

Today, I actually messed up and this is my fault. In the main living room I decided to box off and area for them to bond as I had work to do so knew I could sit in there and supervise, whereas the hallway I have to sit cramped on the stairs. They have both been in the living room and explored but separately so in hind sight I believe the both think it to be theirs?

Anyway, they ate, then Rusty started a fight within 4 minutes and it's the worst they've done, they were actually rolling around the floor, they were kind of making high noises, and there was fur everywhere. Any noise I made did not stop them and so I got a towel over and separated them.

I know that was silly off me, but I thought if I made an enclosed pen it would be better but it clearly wasn't

It seems that's Rusty wants to be in charge in a very aggressive way, but it seems that chunky will not give in - but she is not fighting until she has to and does seem quite intrigued by him.

What would you advise I do? Was it going ok until I made this mistake? If they fight should they be given a time out as some articles state or would you stay with them?
Is the problem that Rusty isn't neutered? I knew this could be a problem a little later on, but at 10 weeks old is a strong possibility?

Sorry for the length and the questions but I would really like to do this week so they can have a good friendship and I fear I'm doing something wrong and I'm missing what......

I wouldn't attempt any further bond until he is neutered as its possible he could be hormonal - unnusal at such an early age but I've had it happen before. As long as his testicals are decended and he's over 1kg its safe for him to be done.

Once he's healed and settled down I would try again but I would use a smaller neutral area.

I'd first check them both very carefully for injuries. If they were rolling around on the floor together and you had to physically separate it's likely they've caused each other damage.

Your male could be coming into his hormones. I'd leave bonding until he had been neutered (once his plumbs make a showing). You'll need to wait 6 weeks post neuter to allow his hormones to settle down.

In this time don't attempt to bond. You could be doing more damage. You can continue to swap cages but don't let them out together in any place.

When you come to do bonding again stick to one neutral room - somewhere you can keep them together all the time for a week.

Don't separate after small scuffles (fur pulling, nipping, humping) but definitely separate after big fights.
If you separate after small scuffles, you could be confusing them as they won't get the chance to sort out who is boss. It's difficult I know but so long as it's not a proper fight leave them together.
It's also important they relate each other to good things, so splitting them up after every scuffle makes them relate each other to negative things.

You'll need to be able to watch them day and night. Keep the bonding to one room. I normally do bonding in a large dog crate in my bedroom. It's completely neutral and is easy to monitor.

Once they are settled into that neutral space and the dominance has been sorted you can move them to where they'll be living (you'll need to neutralise it if they've used it before bonding). Start small, scuffles will probably break out after the move. You can gradually increase space.

Use lots of hay spread around everywhere. I personally don't use hiding spaces but big piles of hay is great.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Hi Both,

Thanks so much for such prompt responses.

Amy - I think it must be his hormones like you also suspect because he's just gunning for her, and making lots of noises. I will keep them separate.

Daphne - there doesnt seem to be any injuries as I stopped them in time and have checked them - they're happy as Larry back in their cages. The scuffles have stopped and it seems if rusty goes for chunky a full fight starts so hopefully neutering him and trying again in a few weeks will help. How do you recommend neutralising a space they've been in before, as you suggested?

Thanks guys, I hope it can be done

Hi Both,

Thanks so much for such prompt responses.

Amy - I think it must be his hormones like you also suspect because he's just gunning for her, and making lots of noises. I will keep them separate.

Daphne - there doesnt seem to be any injuries as I stopped them in time and have checked them - they're happy as Larry back in their cages. The scuffles have stopped and it seems if rusty goes for chunky a full fight starts so hopefully neutering him and trying again in a few weeks will help. How do you recommend neutralising a space they've been in before, as you suggested?

Thanks guys, I hope it can be done
Replace what toys you can.
The hutch and plastic toys can be neutralised with a 50/50 dilution of white vinegar and water :)

Got you!

I thought you meant neutralise the whole living room ;)
I done this, but only really the carpet. Because you'll be slowly introducing them to more space I wouldn't worry.
Bonding will take place in another part of the house so you should find by that time the scents in the living room have died down.

Once you come to bonding them let us know,we can always offer extra tips but I think you'll find once his hormones are gone it'll be easy.

Back