• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding a Nervous Rabbit

Ceecee

New Kit
I'm trying to bond our older, nervous female rabbit with a younger male rabbit and would welcome some advice as its my first time doing this. Both are neutered and rescue rabbits, so we aren't definite on age. G lost her sister 2 months ago and was struggling without her (little sleep, almost always alert), so we thought she'd like a friend to share her hutch thro' the dark nights & garden in the day.

The first week we left her in her hutch, but put them in adjacent runs for parts of the day on a neutral part of our garden where she doesn't go. She did go to the barrier and he groomed her, most the time she sat just out of his reach. Putting them together for short times, she seemed terrified and crouched in a corner. Similarly we did stress bonding where she got very stressed and he was totally laid back or grooming her. She started to chirp when he was grooming her, he wasn't trying to mount her at this time, and she started to pounce at him. He then took the hint and left her alone, but she began pouncing when he approached. This was in a small enclosed run. This concerned us and we were worried she may bite him (she hasn't bitten him at all). We found giving them more space in a run, gave her the chance to move away when she was unhappy rather than pounce & this worked well for a while, with them both grooming each other (mostly him).

This week we have set up identical hutches and runs side by side (neither was hers before) so they can be adjacent 24/7 and together more often. Again some encouraging grooming signs to each other & themselves and time spent together eating & lying down, but mostly she avoids him and backs into a corner so when he approaches to groom her she pounces when she's not happy. We try moving her out the corner but she just goes to another one. She mostly refuses to groom him and steadfastly keeps her head bowed, so his next move after grooming is to mount her (the wrong way round) which leads to her chirping unhappily and again he takes the hint & stops. He is so good natured and patient, but is getting wary of her.

The main reason I'm writing this is this morning when I let them out, she seemed really down, just lying there and wet underneath. I took her to dry her off & she jumped about a bit. She is still eating. I'm concerned I'm pushing this too much, making both rabbits unhappy. When do you decide to stop trying to bond? I'm not giving up on either rabbit, if it doesn't work out they will both stay, but have to time share the garden.

Was she wet from urine? as this might be an infection which will need addressing before any further bonding can take place.

When bonding 2 rabbits it is best to place them in a neutral area together and keep them together, unless fighting breaks out. Normally when I have bonded a male and female the boy chases the girl and she runs away - this lasts up to 3 days when things have calmed down or begin to calm down and the girl starts to feel more comfortable around the boy. Then you are almost there. Try not to move them as this could unsettle them until their bond is stronger. Females are usually more territorial than boys so don't put the boy into the girl's territory but you should be ok putting her into his.

If your female has an infection she will need to be well enough before you continue bonding, it might be the stress which has brought it on.

Good luck with your bonding, they are much happier with a friend.

Thanks for the response.

Yes much happier with a friend, but I'm starting to think the friend we've got to comfort her is actually stressing her 24/7. We couldn't have wished for a kinder bunny to bond with her, I pretty sure most would have reacted back to her pouncing.

I've separated them now and will make sure she is well before I think of them going back together

Back