• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bunny safe flowers for garden?

Jocelyn

Mama Doe
Has anyone got a fairly comprehensive list of garden flowers/plants that are safe for bunnies? I want to get sowing some seeds to brighten up the garden as it's rather dull! But obviously I want to have things that are not only pretty but would be safe for the buns to munch on either by accident or if I gave them some :)

I know marigolds are safe and I know about various veggies and herbs but not really in the know about flowers/plants :)

Ta!

Nasturtium - they are bright and safe to eat, easy to grow from seed as well. Most herbs are fine too.

Tam

I was going to start a thread like this too. We've been out weeding the garden and there is lavender, primrose, dafodil, heather etc in there. I'll need to make sure what's safe and what's not before i let the bunnies loose in the summer. I'll have a look at that link, thanks. :D

I was going to start a thread like this too. We've been out weeding the garden and there is lavender, primrose, dafodil, heather etc in there. I'll need to make sure what's safe and what's not before i let the bunnies loose in the summer. I'll have a look at that link, thanks. :D

Daffodils and Primroses are a NO NO! ;) Lavendar is ok, not sure about Heathers

I planted some at the weekend and found the flowers from the link in the care reference section. hang on and i'll find you the link

Don't expect any plantlife to survive in your garden if you let the bunnies loose in it. Mine have stripped the place of every last leaf, including the last blade of grass....
I now have a moss lawn. That is all. :roll:

Hi

Oxeye daisies are ok to munch on and they are really good as they spread themselves so won't die off.
Rosemary is a good herb to grow as it's quite hardy when bunnies tug at it :)
Nasturtium's are good but tend to get covered in black fly :?
Sunflowers, Lavender, Geum's, Hollyhocks, oh and Roses are lovely too.

I've been told Golden Rod is ok but I've not got that in my garden.

Lovely, thanks very much everyone, helpful as always! :)

I will go and have a look round on Saturday and see what I can find, I think I'll buy a pre-grown small rose bush [possibly a thornless one :)] and definitely some marigolds and nasturtiums at least.. rosemary sounds great too - I do enjoy growing things that I can use too :)

I've been saving up all the plastic trays that come as food packaging [like mushroom/tomato trays] to use for seedlings - I'm just going to punch some holes in the bottom et voila! Thought it was better than binning them as nowhere seems to recycle them :( I'm also going to use... bunny poo :lol: as a fertilizer... it certainly won't hurt.. right?

Thanks again [any more contributions welcome though, my fingers are feeling all green hehe]

Lovely, thanks very much everyone, helpful as always! :)

I will go and have a look round on Saturday and see what I can find, I think I'll buy a pre-grown small rose bush [possibly a thornless one :)] and definitely some marigolds and nasturtiums at least.. rosemary sounds great too - I do enjoy growing things that I can use too :)

I've been saving up all the plastic trays that come as food packaging [like mushroom/tomato trays] to use for seedlings - I'm just going to punch some holes in the bottom et voila! Thought it was better than binning them as nowhere seems to recycle them :( I'm also going to use... bunny poo :lol: as a fertilizer... it certainly won't hurt.. right?

Thanks again [any more contributions welcome though, my fingers are feeling all green hehe]

I bought a bright pink thornless rose, its just waiting for the playhouse before I plant it!

Also made tubs of plants so that I can rotate them allowing them to recover after the nibbles! They love the herbs but don't seem fussed about eating the flowers which is fine by me!

Hi

I wrote a series of four seasonal articles on this subject last year for Rabbitting On (the RWA magazine). They always have back numbers for sale. I gave loads of planting ideas, and info about plants which can and can't be used. those they will strip and those they might leave!

Go to the RWA website or give them an e-mail and ask for the back numbers with the articles on Rabbit Gardening (by Twigs Way).

Back