• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Question Regarding the Backbone

Thea & Bobbin

Warren Veteran
Bobbin has always had quite an obvious spine, what I mean by this is that if I run my finger down his back I can quite easily feel each vertebra, they are almost sharp :shock:

Now, until recently I thought nothing of this, he is by no means underweight (1.6 kg - mini lop) and from what I gather his frame is quite small for his breed anyway - those that have met him I think would agree.

Since I have had Broome I have noticed that her spine is not at all like Bobbin's, yes I can make out her vertebra, but they are much more covered by what seems like an almost thicker skin.

Is this something I should be worried about? Is it something relative to his breed?

Any experienced opinions on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

I wouldn't worry, both Lexie and my Fiver have very pronounced spines and we know Lexie is not underweight. Fivers drops with his dental issues but even when he is up to weight his spine is still very obvious.

Cassius and Caspian were the same. Marley and Scout however have a nice layer of padding over theirs.

i read somewhere that it is normal to be able to feel a mini lops spine and it's a good indication of a good weight range - if they become chubby, their spines disappear under fat. also you shouldn't be able to feel the ribs too obviously, as that indicates an underweight rabbit.

i'll try and find the article, it was a vet type site i found while i was doing my research before getting my squishy little man.

Connie has a boney spine too and her weight is perfect according to the vets. I guess it is just a case of different bone structures like us.

Lian x

For a long time we were concerned about our Joey because we could feel his frame, but he is well within his ideal weight-range and has no health problems...its just the way hes made:)

Thank you for the reassurance guys :)

You cannot feel any of his other bones, Broome's hip bones are more pronounced than his. Bizarre buns!

Back