• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

came down to find blood on my floor and settee

purplebumble

Warren Veteran
:shock: and willow had somehow got inbetween the willowproofing ive had to put around bifs cage(willow n bif have bithcy doe spring fever!! and willow will start a fight thru bars and bif never says no to that!!)
i thought at first no..its wee right.so i got a damp paper towel and no..its blood....:shock::(

i picked her up and tried to check her over but a frenchie of 14lbs on her back who doesnt want to be examined isnt easy..all i could tell was it wasnt her mouth or face or anything i could see..no blood anywhere......

but i needed help..so later my daughter got up and she helped me..it turned out shed riped a toenail right out..nothing left but the soft stuff.....:shock:

later on my daughter said the computer desks a bit messy were you eating my sweets mum?........the desk is metal with hundreds of holes all overit....bout the size of a punch hole maybe a bit smaller....
willow must have somehow got up on it past all the pen panels etc and got the packet open..nicked a haribo sweet and turned to get down and ther..sticking up in one of the holes..was her entire back claw:(

i bathed it and theres still some blood oozing..but not running..only when its knocked bathed. shes not limped once.shes been doing her usual nutty running etc....

i have terrible trouble with her and dont know what to do..shes rainding the bins..even the recylcing....shes reached the kithcne worktop and helped herself to naything within reach..chewed thru bottles of mineral water..and stolen a box of rice crispies that were withing reach....i had to chase her for 15 minutes trying to get them back.
yes it sounds funy but im at my wits end..she can jump any height barrier ive put up..shes so god at opening doors as theyre sliding ones fold uo ones...ive reduced her food intake and increased her hay and shes decided to reward me by trashing my kithcne which is alreayd a mess but shes real good at going one better. i tried penning her and bertie up but bertie went nuts and turned aggressive....she just jumped over it.

ive moved the food to the back of the worktop..cupboard space is lean in my kitchen....but i dont know what shell destroy overnight..she even comes upstairs to see if im asleep!!

i love her dearly and sorely regret she had her free time running arpund with our kittens who are now cats....my cat salem is a lovable hooligan....and shes learnt a lot of him..esp how to climb onto the worktop if theres washing or a chair handy!! shes turned mluntain goat i swear.

im worried bput her toe will ring vets in morning see if he thinks i should bring her in......
as for her behaviour probs..i think its cos she sees herself more as a cat..our first doe did...and shes very much like her....just 3 times her size!

There was a post the other day about some liquid stuff that calms bunnies down, now whilst contraversial and people on here may not agree to it, I think it might be your best option?! She sounds like a big terror at the moment. You can buy the stuff in P@H might be worth a try for the mean time!? :wave:

I have a climbing/jumping free range french lop too. Mine will jump the child's gate and leave her sister sitting on the other side:roll: I think if you look on the internet there are gates that are extra height and Im looking at these. One of my bunnies lost a nail and he was fine.

this happend to my bunny when she was still tiny, except she did it by boxing my other bun's cage, caught her front claw on one of the bars and ripped the whole thing clean out! I rang the vet who told me to bathe her whole foot in salty warm water so i got a tiny cup with the solution in and dipped her little foot in it! She was such a good girl, just let me do it! It has taken ages to grow back and is now unfortunatley growing in a curly way...am taking her to the vet to get advice on what to do about this! Hope your bun's toe nail grows back nice and straight. :)

willow saw vet today!!

:wave: well yes ive dealt with a few rippedout claws over time esp bif..but willows a french lop and her claws are huuuugee..like a dogs claws...largish dog claws!!
We saw Rob today and he said shed get a nasty infection in it....so i have come home with he dreaded baytril.......and a bottle of hibiscrub..he says to do one day cleaning with salt water..one day hibiscrub...he cant get over her still jumping on furnbiture and not even limping with the injury she has!!

tonight weve tried yet another config of pen panels to keep her off the fdurniture away from bif...etc.......im getting used to emptying bins as usual but avoiding using lounge bins..leaving cereal sweets or bread etc anywhere near the edge of my kithcne worktop..etc.....shes terrible..like a scavenging dog!! im so embarressed..i asked him if anyone had bunny behaviour guides..he laughed and said no but ask online or lock her up overnite..not an option shes way too big for a pen with bertie...bertie attacks her if i pen them up....and she jumps over the panels....i gave the rottie crate away..its too cruel to expect her n bertie to share that even overnite...willow fills it on her own...
i have an open planish kitchen lounge with a door on other end into hallway and door to kitchen..i can baby or dog gate these two dorways but its still leaving access to the kitchen and of course bifs cage and the furniture which wilows taken to weeing on and poopoing on in the last week near bif....

gotta luv em right:lol::lol:

hey maybe i should buy aviary panels for my lounge!!:lol::lol:

why cant she be more like bertie..hes so laid back he even went to sleep under the vets table whilst willow was being examined!!! thats my boy!:oops::lol:

She sounds like my little Dougal. He and Nigel had a fight and he tore his testicles but he didn't show any sign of being sore, and while we were waiting for the vets appointment (all of an hour) he tried to hump the cat and ended up popping one of his testicles right out! He didn't seem to care!

Nigel also poops and wees right by their run, I think it's to show he's the boss. He climbs up on top of it quite a lot, and has been known to wee through the chicken wire onto Dougals head! :lol::lol:

:shock: OUCH!!

wot a bunny:lol::lol:

sounds a bit like willow yes indeed!! she pees thru the pen panels to get bif....and sometimes bandit..unbonding has made her extra territorial..sad she doesnt think about bandit biting her thru the bars....doh!!:lol:

Back